Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 11-20-2007, 07:48 PM

Default Re: How often should I reraise the river with a monster, but not the n

I agree with you that, if BB was a good player, the only hand that makes sense, once he 5-bets, is 55. But a these low limits I've seen the strangest plays. At higher limits, maybe you should call after a 5-bet, like you propose. At this limit I think I should have 8-betted or maybe even 10-betted. (not being sarcastic)
Old 11-20-2007, 08:02 PM

A little similar hand. But now you do have the nuts. How often do you reraise? The rake is 5%, to a maximum of $3.

Cryptologic
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $2/$4
6 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is CO with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, 3 folds, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (5.5SB, 2 players)
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3.75BB, 2 players)
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero re-raises</font>, UTG+1 calls.

River: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (9.75BB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 re-raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero re-raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 re-raises</font>, Hero ????
Old 11-20-2007, 09:49 PM

this time you can reraise forever, since you've passed the rake limit.

in the original hand, i think you might be results oriented. did you call his 7-bet? what did he have?
Old 11-21-2007, 12:03 AM

Default Re: How often should I reraise the river with a monster, but not the nuts?

C'mon... it's 2 [censored] 4 people. Keep smashing the raise button until you have no more chips in front of you. I guess 56 or Q5s.

Results?
Old 11-21-2007, 04:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A little similar hand. But now you do have the nuts. How often do you reraise? The rake is 5%, to a maximum of $3.

Cryptologic
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $2/$4
6 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is CO with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, 3 folds, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (5.5SB, 2 players)
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3.75BB, 2 players)
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero re-raises</font>, UTG+1 calls.

River: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (9.75BB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 re-raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero re-raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 re-raises</font>, Hero ????

[/ QUOTE ]

so many times I try to find some cute way to slow down because I just know we're splitting he ends up showing me something idiotic like A4 or QQ or something here.

and there are enough times when I keep hitting raise even though I just know we're just paying more rake to split and he ends up with the same garbage.

Unless it's a solid TAG who you know incredibly well I think you just have to keep raising away here. Splitting the hand and paying extra-rake to do it sucks. But remember that you're essentially splitting that extra-rake and the chances of him being a total moron and actually not having the nuts with you are almost always high enough to justify the extra action since you only have to be not splitting like 1 time in 50 or something to make it okay.

Kind of different on crypto though with that no cap thingee. But as has already been mentioned, you are already past the cap so might as well keep raising all the way.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:50 AM

I go about 12 bets.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:00 AM

Default Re: How often should I reraise the river with a monster, but not the nuts?

I called, 56
Old 11-21-2007, 05:35 AM

I'm a bit biased because I saw the results as I was scrolling through the thread, but I would generally say that you have to err on the side of putting one or two more raises than you think you should because there's only one combo of 55 that beats you and so many combos of ridiculous hands that could be played like this. I'd expect to see hands like JJ, J5, 66, Q5, 65, even A5 and AA sometimes and once in a while something more outrageous. Even though you need to discount each of these hands and some of them like A5 and AA quite a bit once the fifth bet goes in on the river, I think you usually have at least one more raise against anybody who's not pretty good.

Anyway, as already mentioned, it doesn't really matter because it comes up so rarely.