Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2007, 02:16 PM

Default Re: donkey players

[ QUOTE ]
You failed to mention a few things, like what position you were in, what position he was in, what his stack was, cash game vs. tournament, how many players, etc.

Small pocket pair vs two overcards is only a 6:5 favorite to win. Pushing all in like that screams go away, I don't want a caller, so he probably figured you for a lesser ace or a medium/small PP.

So he called your all in. Going all in elimates the position advantage. If he would have had to make a bet on the flop, he probably would have folded, but being all in, he gets to see all the cards, and the river killed you.

[/ QUOTE ]

let's face it... unless you're short-stacked in a tourney...
going all in with small pocket pairs is BAD.

Might as well go all in with any 2 cards and then say
"what did i do wrong?!?!" when you lose.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:05 PM

Donkeys are great. All you have to do is get a monster hand and the hand will practically play itself.

Good players love donkeys. When you're up against a donkey, you have one less thing to worry about: extracting maximum value from your good hands.

The downside is that when you lose to a donk, you lose big. This is because "you" (the player who complains about donks) are not good at minimizing your losses.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:06 PM

That was for OP
Old 11-15-2007, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a bit puzzled here. If I had 6500 chips or 500K chips and a small pocket pair I would never, I mean never go all in pre-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

never ?? I think the OP is assuming he is nearing short stacked. a few posters have mentioned that 16bb is not in any desperate situation to do this but lets say you were 7BB left then an allin move is appropriate as you still have small folding equity and may not get a better hand than 44 until you are blinded out.

i dont think you can say 'never'

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, sorry, you're correct, I shouldn't have said never. But I wasn't thinking in terms of being short stacked and without knowing the other stacks, 6500 and 500K chips doesn't seem SS'd to me.

I have gone all in SS'd with pocket 9s PF, and coin-tossed PF with pocket 10s against AJ, against a player whom I knew would go all in with at least a J. In both cases my hands held up.

But I have played against players who in the early stages of the game would go all in with pocket 2s just to take the blinds, or as has been mentioned, because they're not sure of their post-flop play.

So I guess I'm willing to play a small PP if the price isn't too high to post-flop and play strongly after.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:11 PM

you callin' me a donk?
Old 11-16-2007, 08:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you callin' me a donk?

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't you seen Crocodile Dundee II? Its great to have a Donk!