Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2007, 08:37 AM

Default Valuebetting half the pot?

villians are all loose bad players.

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Omaha/8 (8 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>

River: (8.25 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>

Final Pot: 12.25 BB

villians call with almost anything and having A22 reduces the chance of someone else having an A2 i guess so assuming they call most of the time this is a valuebet on the river?

comments on all streets appriciated.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:29 AM

Default Re: Valuebetting half the pot?

[ QUOTE ]
assuming they call most of the time this is a valuebet on the river?

[/ QUOTE ]Hi Olrik - That's what I'd call it. You're betting for value so as to collect from your customers, right? If so, I guess it's a "value" bet.

Very hard to comment on the play of your hand. Would all of these opponents have called a pre-flop raise and then continued to the river? If they would have, then a pre-flop raise would have been fine.

Would any of these opponents have bet behind you if you checked? If so, you might have gotten in a check raise on the turn or river.

Thus there might have been a way to get an extra bet out of each opponent. Against three intelligent opponents, you might be able to get that extra bet on one betting round from all three, but probably not twice.

So it's hard to say for sure if you played optimally, because it depends on how your opponents react to you (and each other).

Looks to me like you played fine, certainly better than having someone with a worse low put you on ace-deuce for your pre-flop raise and then fold after the flop, and certainly better than having it checked around on any betting round.

[ QUOTE ]
having A22 reduces the chance of someone else having an A2

[/ QUOTE ]Having the second deuce in your hand reduces the number of ways any particular one opponent can also have the same nut low by about one third, from 8520 to 5682. (Thus the probability of getting quartered is also reduced by about one third).

Buzz

Edit: Another factor to consider is the way you play this hand affects the way your opponents react on future hands.

For example, the check-raise is sometimes used as a defensive tactic against an opponent who regularly semi-bluffs behind you after you have checked. In other words, if you check-raise, the opponent is less likely to bet behind you in the future. (See David Sklansky's The Theory of Poker for a more complete explanation).

Applying this reasoning to the current hand, you might get in a check-raise on this hand, but then the next time you check, your opponents will be less likely to bet behind you.

Once you have already successfully check-raised, the tactic may tend to back-fire if you use it in an attempt to get more money into the pot on a second occasion. (I guess it depends on your opponents).

Straight-forward betting when you have the nuts, the way you bet this hand, tends to make you more believable if you chose to bet a hand that is not the nuts in the future. Since I bet a lot of hands that are not the nuts, it tends to work in my favor when I bet a hand that actually is the nuts.

In short, I would tend to bet this hand exactly the same as you did.

Buzz