Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 03:49 PM

Default Re: Future of Online Poker

Agreed, I dont see online poker going anywhere... Id say play poker as much as you want for the next year but go to Dental School for sure.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If your true passion is dentistry, become a dentist. If your true passion is poker, become a poker player. If you can't decide, then multitable during root canals while your patients are knocked out.

[/ QUOTE ]

There you go, problem solved.

Next...!
Old 09-11-2007, 05:27 PM

Hey all,

Thanks for your responses. There seems to be a mixture of opinions on the longevity of online poker. I certainly hope online poker is here to stay and continues to grow. But the pessimistic side of me doesn't like the situation. According to pokersitescout.com, there has been around a -20% users across a lot of the major sites since the legislation and banning of neteller.

I also realize how stupid I sound to some to be contempleting giving up a career in dentistry. However, I am far from impulsive and have given it much thought. I have very strict bankroll management and rarely tilt. These two factors I believe are the most crucial in being a long term winning player. I plan to move up the stakes slowly playing full-time this coming year, working relentlessly to improve my game. I have a year off before I attend dental school. If I cannot make a very good amount from poker this year, I will certainly go to dental school. But is it really that stupid to play poker full time if I can make a good living from it?
Old 09-11-2007, 06:25 PM

What statistics do you have so far to show your a winning player?
It's easier said than done to not tilt especially when playing alot.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey all,

Thanks for your responses. There seems to be a mixture of opinions on the longevity of online poker. I certainly hope online poker is here to stay and continues to grow. But the pessimistic side of me doesn't like the situation. According to pokersitescout.com, there has been around a -20% users across a lot of the major sites since the legislation and banning of neteller.

I also realize how stupid I sound to some to be contempleting giving up a career in dentistry. However, I am far from impulsive and have given it much thought. I have very strict bankroll management and rarely tilt. These two factors I believe are the most crucial in being a long term winning player. I plan to move up the stakes slowly playing full-time this coming year, working relentlessly to improve my game. I have a year off before I attend dental school. If I cannot make a very good amount from poker this year, I will certainly go to dental school. But is it really that stupid to play poker full time if I can make a good living from it?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't mind me being blunt, in your position yes you would be stupid.

You are obviously an intelligent young man, keep your options open and go forward in your dentistry career. It is easy to be seduced when you see the likes of Ivey, Helmuth, etc on TV but for the vast majority of pro players its a long never-ending grind. It will be more like extracting teeth than being a dentist.

You don't have to give up poker - do that in your spare time. Who knows one day you may win the WSOP ME and can then do whatever the hell you like. And I may win the lottery.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hey all,

[/ QUOTE ]

You are obviously an intelligent young man, keep your options open and go forward in your dentistry career. It is easy to be seduced when you see the likes of Ivey, Helmuth, etc on TV but for the vast majority of pro players its a long never-ending grind. It will be more like extracting teeth than being a dentist.

You don't have to give up poker - do that in your spare time. Who knows one day you may win the WSOP ME and can then do whatever the hell you like. And I may win the lottery.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe dentistry sucks. I don't know.
But to blithely say "become a dentist, make big bucks," without any reference to what he WANTS (yes, wants) to do with his life isn't terrific advice.

That said, there's a big market for dentists. Poker player wannabes are a dime a dozen.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What statistics do you have so far to show your a winning player?
It's easier said than done to not tilt especially when playing alot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, like I said, I am only a low stakes player right now and am not claming to be the best. I only recently used to pokertracker and I average about 3.9 BB/100 hands over 21k hands at low stakes. That is obviously a very small sample size, but I have been a winning player my entire career before pokertracker. I cannot give you an accurate BB/100 hands before my pokertracker use.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hey all,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for your input. In no way would I sacrafice a career in dentistry if I wasn't sure I was a kickass poker player. And I am not aiming to win something as improbable as the WSOP. But let's say, after next year is up and I'm averaging 4-5 BB/100 hands over millions of hands killing 10/20 NL. Only then, would I even consider dropping dental school. Is it unreasonable for me to consider being a professional even after I have proven myself over such a large sample size?
Old 09-11-2007, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hey all,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe dentistry sucks. I don't know.
But to blithely say "become a dentist, make big bucks," without any reference to what he WANTS (yes, wants) to do with his life isn't terrific advice.

That said, there's a big market for dentists. Poker player wannabes are a dime a dozen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if guy is planning on going to dental school I naturally assume he has some interest and aptitude in that area. Call me stupid if you like.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I do hope you’re joking. Concentrate on your proposed dentistry career and just play poker on the side.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]