Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2006, 02:18 PM

Default Re: \"Don\'t answer that phone, sir!\"

[ QUOTE ]
Everybody is missing my point. I have no problem with any rule that prohibits the use of cellphones.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, somebody is missing the point, but I don't think it's "everybody" else. The old guy was given a clear warning, "Don't answer that phone, sir!" At that point, if he chooses to answer the phone, then he is accepting the consequences.

If you're gonna sit at a money game, then play by the rules (and maybe actually read the rules posted in the poker room). I think that's the point.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
WHEN THAT PENALTY IS NEVER GIVEN FOR ANY OTHER SORT OF INFRACTION

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement is, of course, utterly false.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never seen a player put money into the pot, then get disqualified on a later street, in a cash game.

Have you?
Old 08-03-2006, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Well, somebody is missing the point, but I don't think it's "everybody" else. The old guy was given a clear warning, "Don't answer that phone, sir!" At that point, if he chooses to answer the phone, then he is accepting the consequences.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, I give up. But I'm leaving one last parting shot:

The last two times I received a phone call in a poker room, it was my wife. The first was to tell me that she was in labor, and was en route to the hospital. The more recent time, she was in a parking lot with our children, having just escaped our apartment building, which was in flames.

I work as a dealer, and I don't care what the rules are, you will never hear me tell another person, "Don't answer that phone, sir!"

Can you imagine if somebody tried to prohibit me from taking either of those calls? Forget about killing my hand, you'd have to take me out in handcuffs, after I punched somebody in the nose.

I'm the only one who thinks "Please step away from the table when on the phone," is a better rule than, "Turn it off, don't answer it, don't look at it, don't touch it, OR ELSE!"???

EDIT: BTW, "because that's the rule!" is the worst argument so far. That's like saying, "Because we've always done it that way." I go nuts when I ask the logic behind a procedure, and I get told, "We've always done it that way." That's the worst reason in the world to do anything! Please, have a better reason than that, no matter what you're doing, for doing it that particular way.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, I give up. But I'm leaving one last parting shot:

The last two times I received a phone call in a poker room, it was my wife. The first was to tell me that she was in labor, and was en route to the hospital. The more recent time, she was in a parking lot with our children, having just escaped our apartment building, which was in flames.

I work as a dealer, and I don't care what the rules are, you will never hear me tell another person, "Don't answer that phone, sir!"

Can you imagine if somebody tried to prohibit me from taking either of those calls? Forget about killing my hand, you'd have to take me out in handcuffs, after I punched somebody in the nose.

I'm the only one who thinks "Please step away from the table when on the phone," is a better rule than, "Turn it off, don't answer it, don't look at it, don't touch it, OR ELSE!"???

[/ QUOTE ]
i think you realize youre wrong now and are just trying to salvage something from this mess.
nobody is saying you "cant answer your phone"
answer it all you want, but your hand is dead.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My question to you: If there's a single player who might be getting fed information about the other players' hole cards (or advice on how to play a hand) via wireless transmission, whom do you think is the most likely suspect?

[/ QUOTE ]

Me, I'm Scilian I just can't help it! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-03-2006, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

<snip>

[/ QUOTE ]

If you only get calls when there there is a real emergency, then I would recommend that you answer the call, and forfeit the pot. This should be a rare occurrence since there is a 95%+ chance that you will not be in a hand, where you have money in the pot, and (hopefully) emergencies don't come up that often. Bad break to lose money on these rare occasions, but these things happen in life.

I don't think that anyone would try to prevent you from answering your phone, you just have a dead hand if you choose to do so.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
WHEN THAT PENALTY IS NEVER GIVEN FOR ANY OTHER SORT OF INFRACTION

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement is, of course, utterly false.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never seen a player put money into the pot, then get disqualified on a later street, in a cash game.

Have you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

And you can find instances in this very forum.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're saying you'd rather keep playing the poker hand than deal with a life emergency???

I mean, I know there are a certain number of degenerates at any given cardroom, but this would kind of take the cake.

P.S. Thanks for the recap. You're on your way to becoming the TomBrooks of cell phones.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I find old people with cell phones friggin hilarious.

RING RING, "Harold it's Blanche, do you need me to pick up more Metamucil?"

Seriously, what could be that urgent?

[/ QUOTE ]

But I'm assuming you have urgent business with yours?

I am of the firm opinion that 99% of the population is not important enough to have to carry one 24x7. Myself included. If I could ditch mine for good, I would.

I understand the point of the emergency, as others have brought up, but most of the time the calls people take on their phones are things that can wait.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:20 PM

Isn't it easy enough to turn the phone to vibrate, finish the hand, look to see who called, and call them back? It's not like hands take hours to play. Even if you're playing a draw game you'll still be calling them back in a few minutes.