Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2006, 11:35 PM

Default Re: I make banks run out of hundreds

[ QUOTE ]

And yet, 35 years ago and about 500% inflation ago $20's where the standard high denomination bill and caused no trouble. $500's definitely need to be returned to circulation.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty much what I was thinking.

A tank of gas can cost $50 or more for large-ish vehicles today.

If $20's were okay when a gallon of gas was $0.35 or $0.40 or so and a new-ish car was $1500-$2000 (making up those numbers, don't think they're that far off though) then why is it still a big deal at so many places to use a $100 in today's econmoic environment?

I find it especially strange at a grocery-store or someplace where I actually am making a purchase in the $70-$100 range...yet using a $100 bill to make a $100 purchase STILL is uncommon and/or not quite appropriate for some reason.

I suspect the answer is that more and more of today's purchases aren't made with cash anymore (check-cards and the like).

And this is the same reason why banks evidently sometimes don't have a lot of cash on hand (which is something I didn't know before).
Seriously, not many other people need that much cash on them.
Before poker I don't think I ever had much more than $200 or $300 on me at any time because I just never needed it.

Old 07-24-2006, 12:03 AM

I've noticed some ATMs in my area have started giving $50 and $100 bills, and these are at 7-11s, so I think more places will have them soon.

Also, while we're talking about cash, I'm going to Europe in a couple weeks, and I'm wondering what the best way to get money back and forth from there is. How much cash can I take without getting searched/having to declare something?
Old 07-24-2006, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

btw, anyone have any opinions on this?
http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/St...7D&keyword=

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
A government program designed to track down terrorists and money launderers is frightening bank customers, frustrating financial institutions and inundating federal agencies with secret reports of dubious value.

[/ QUOTE ]

Standard. Republicans are in power, silly.

(Yeah, I know i'm perilously closing to being off-topic, but we are talking about transporting large sums of money so I think government/bank nosiness is legit fodder for discussion on those grounds.)