Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2007, 01:33 AM

Default Going on an interview, asking for an extra flight?

My roommate is going to be flying out on an interview (company pays for flight/room/meals/rental/etc) and wants his significant other to check out the area to make sure she is ok to move there (they would both be moving there). He asked me for advice and I turn to OOT knowledge because I have no clue what the answer is:

Is it alright for him to ask the company to also pay for his so's flight so she can see the area in which they will potentially be living?

On a random side note, we got into an argument. He's planning on wearing khakis and a button up to the interview (tech company) while I say a suit is the way to go...
Old 10-09-2007, 01:45 AM

Default Re: Going on an interview, asking for an extra flight?

significant other as in wife or gf?

he should definitely wear a suit. it may not be a big deal if he doesn't, but better to wear it and not matter.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:46 AM

gf of 5+ years (they are actually both my roommates, they live together)
Old 10-09-2007, 01:52 AM

He should just ask the company, and if the company is any good they will pay for her flight. It costs a lot more to recruit someone than you would think. Any company smart enough to realize this should also realize they don't want to possibly lose a qualified candidate over $500.

I interview for my tech company, and it's very laid back. Someone could interview in shorts and sandals and still get the job if they were qualified, but some interviewers just won't stand for this. Just put on an f-ing suit, it's one day and it's almost guaranteed that there won't be any negatives to wearing a suit, whereas there's a decent chance not wearing a suit will reflect negatively. Also, people tend to react differently to someone wearing a suit and people wearing a suit tend to act differently (both positive effects). Again, just ask the company, no harm in checking what attire is appropriate for the interview.

Old 10-09-2007, 01:55 AM

Suit for sure and don't ask for the extra flight unless he's married to her. You want a company to reject you quickly? Act like you're tied down to some girl back home.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He should just ask the company, and if the company is any good they will pay for her flight. It costs a lot more to recruit someone than you would think. Any company smart enough to realize this should also realize they don't want to possibly lose a qualified candidate over $500.

[/ QUOTE ]

But it's not about the ticket cost, it's about the candidate, who I assume is a campus recruit, asking that his girlfriend be flown out. This is one of those situations where, though the cost is minimal, the candidate has shown terrible judgment and that should be considered in any hiring decision.

J
Old 10-09-2007, 02:04 AM

change the word 'girlfriend' to 'fiancee' and this sounds much, much better
Old 10-09-2007, 02:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
change the word 'girlfriend' to 'fiancee' and this sounds much, much better

[/ QUOTE ]

That would change things significantly.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:18 AM

I guess I'm just speaking from my isolated personal experience. I had a friend who was interviewing at my company before I was a recruiter. He asked me this same question, so I asked my school's head recruiter, who happened to be my buddy at work. He said that we want anyone involved in the decision to come see the city.

It may be different because we are located in Austin, TX, which is a huge selling point, but many people (especially college students 1000 miles away) have no idea how cool the city is. If he's got a contact with HR I'd ask them since they probably won't have any say in his hiring, especially if they've already agreed to fly him down. Heck, he doesn't even have to say who he is when he calls.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:23 AM

Unless he's some big shot who they're actively recruiting, I wouldn't ask them to pay for a flight for the gf. I got flown around all over the place by law firms during law school, and wouldn't even have thought of asking them to pay to fly out my fiancee.

If he gets the offer, lots of places will fly you back to the area in for a second look to help you decide. That's the point I'd bring up flying out the s.o.

And he should wear a suit.