Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2007, 06:05 PM

Default Re: Honor Systems

[ QUOTE ]
maybe it IS an urban legend. edtost do you REALLY know the guy? come on, don't BS us

[/ QUOTE ]

well, you know, he was this guy who used to date my sister's friend.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
maybe it IS an urban legend. edtost do you REALLY know the guy? come on, don't BS us

[/ QUOTE ]

he was a good friend when he left (originally in the class above me) and one of my roommates when he came back.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:04 AM

Duke has pretty much the same code as Princeton then. We are required to report others if we know about it also, but I would never dream of reporting someone even if I see it although I would never cheat myself. Its just way too much of a risk (in both social stigma and honor council punishment) for little reward. If you're caught then you're pretty much gone forever and they're not giving you any recommendations or even shipping a transcript to another school if you try to go somewhere else. Even something like an uncited quote is grounds for a minimum of 4 semesters of expulsion.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:14 AM

There is rampant cheating at Cornell that i witnessed.

The statistic that 11% of society steals bagels is false. The bagel salesman Paul F. would stop going to companies that were under 80%, and flat out avoided some groups, lawyers' offices for instance. He is catering to professional businesses most likely with higher educated employees. Thus, the percentage of people who would petty steal with no consequence likely falls above 11%.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:31 AM

Carpool lanes are the biggest for me. Sitting in parking lot traffic while there is a lane of very few people going 80 with very little enforcement is so tempting. But I can;t do it often or else I turn into a complete wreck.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:49 AM

Saw this in BBV, thought it might be interesting for this thread.
Bakes stakes total unknowns in donkament, sees profit
Old 09-03-2007, 04:16 AM

I admire the honor system in school because if someone tells me such a system exists, I would for sure thought that person was joking.

I think suspension/expulsion for a missed citation is stupid. That's trying way too hard to keep the community together. Rules are meant as guidelines and should be treated as such. What's the point of having a "honor committee" if you can't explain yourself for forgetting a footnote on an essay that you tried completing at the last minute?

Personally, I would follow all honor systems because the reward isn't worth getting caught. But if it's near 100% risk free and what I will be doing won't hurt anyone else's EV, I'm taking my chance. A prime example would be movies hopping. Seriously, has anyone ever pay for two movies on the same trip if they can slide into the next door and the workers don't care if they do see you? If you have, can you take one for the poor Asian kids the next time you want to pay and ship the amount to Red Gross? That's more honorable.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Saw this in BBV, thought it might be interesting for this thread.
Bakes stakes total unknowns in donkament, sees profit

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw that, it was pretty cool.

Cliff's Notes: Guy in BBV offers to stake anyone who asks into the $10+1 buyin Sunday $100k for a 75/25 split. Ships several hundred dollars out to random strangers, and actually gets back a little more than he paid out.

Staking, percentage swapping, 2p2 transfers, prop bets: 2+2 has a lot of stuff taking place on the Honor System.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:41 PM

I come from a relatively poor family, and my parents encouraged me to get pirated computer games since I learned to do it at the age of 8 or so. With doing that for 15 years and now having all the benefits of the internets, it's even easier than using the easiest web shops to buy games (or movies, music, software) online legally.

Now, with my newfound wealth through poker, I've been actually buying some media with high re-play value. I find myself doing this, because I want to support the companies putting good hard work and creating great stuff. I like when companies actually try to make something good, instead of maximizing short-term profit for the shareholders.

Onto my question: Could you see an honor system WORKING in the case of music/movies/games?
What if the customer could choose how much he wants to pay for the media/record?
Old 09-04-2007, 08:30 PM

I think you'd have a relatively small number of payers supporting a high number of freeloaders. The anonymity of the internet makes the freerider problem much more accute.