Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-06-2007, 06:45 PM

Default The Poker Mom goes Kettlebell

Cliff notes: Middle aged woman tries kettlebells

By way of introduction, if you consider the average 2p2 poster to be about college age, I'm old enough to be your Mom, (hence The Poker Mom title.) I've lost weight in the last year with a carb and calorie reduced diet, and along the way done some pretty basic exercise, walking, biking, a few DVD's, (resistance bands, Abs ball, etc.), though not as consistently as I'd like and decidedly not beyond "beginner" level.

I'd say I've never been "physically fit" in my entire life.

I started looking for something I could do on a regular basis that wouldn't bore me half to death. I'd almost talked myself into buying a Bowflex. (I live in the country and a gym is not an option.)

At my age, my goals are:
- maintaining and building bone mass
- maintaining and building muscle mass
- strengthening my core
- like most women I have almost zero upper body strength

Before going the Bowflex route, I decided to investigate this Kettlebell stuff I'd been seeing on 2p2.

*OFFICIAL* OOT Kettlebell Thread -- Drink the Kool-Aide!
*OFFICIAL* The Gym KETTLEBELL Thread -- Drink the Kool-Aid!
Getting started in kettlebell training

I like the idea that using kettlebells can be both aerobic and strength training. I also like that you're using a bunch of muscle groups all at once. Add that it's a lot cheaper than investing in a Bowflex, and easy to do at home. I decided to drink the Kool-aid.

I bought the 9 lb. to 25 lb. adjustable from US Kettlebells and picked up Steve Cotter's Encyclopedia of Kettlebell Lifting Volumes I and II from Ebay, (my first Ebay purchase ever.)

I'm sure I would have never heard of kettlebells or considered them if not for this site, so depending on how this goes, I have you guys to thank or to blame. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]