Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy

Old 11-26-2007, 08:47 PM

Default 10+1 MTT: Does Villain have to beat King high straight here?

I had sat two orbits at this table and villain did not have any plays that were out of line. I know my hand isn't strong enough here on the river to call, but I'm wondering with villain's pot size bet on the river, does he have to beat Kx for a straight when the board pairs on the river. I bet on the turn to represent the King, but he instacalled my bet. I'm thinking at this point, he has some two pair combination. What do you guys all think?

Poker Stars, $10 + $1 NL Hold'em Tournament, 25/50 Blinds, 8 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

BB: 10,470
UTG: 2,145
UTG+1: 3,315
MP1: 4,645
MP2: 4,870
CO: 6,525
Hero (BTN): 5,790
SB: 2,650

Pre-Flop: (75) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (BTN)
2 folds, <font color="red">MP1 raises to 150</font>, MP2 calls 150, CO folds, Hero calls 150, 2 folds

Flop: (525) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3 Players)
<font color="red">MP1 bets 200</font>, MP2 folds, Hero calls 200

Turn: (925) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
MP1 checks, <font color="red">Hero bets 400</font>, MP1 calls 400

River: (1,725) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">MP1 bets 1,550</font>, Hero ????
Old 11-26-2007, 09:05 PM

Default Re: 10+1 MTT: Does Villain have to beat King high straight here?

Fold pf

As played, call flop, check behind turn, fold to most river bets
Old 11-26-2007, 09:17 PM

I would have checked the turn. If he's bluffing, there's no way you can justify a call with four cards to a straight on the board.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:06 PM

I know that I'm not calling the river bet. I'm wondering if he has a full house enough here that I would have to lay down Kx if I had it.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold pf

[/ QUOTE ]

Really...115BB on the button? Also, does anyone raise this flop? I've been playing live maniacal cash games for the last 6 months so my bearings may be off. With that weak lead, I raise the flop. And I take the free river.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:40 PM

Don't really mind call pre flop this deep on button, esp if villains been aggro. flop call fine too but whatever you do don't bet 400 on turn, that is a complete nothing bet, either 700 to make him think or preferably check behind.

fold river obv and as for laying down a K high straight tough but possible. his line is really strange and doesn't seem bothered about protecting his hand against the multitude of draws, or maybe he just doean't want to built a big pot OOP, AK perhaps? I don't think you're seeing a full too much here as sets and 2pr are gonna be charging the draws more.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I know that I'm not calling the river bet. I'm wondering if he has a full house enough here that I would have to lay down Kx if I had it.

[/ QUOTE ]

He'd be a fool to check call pocket tens, queens, or jacks with the straight and the flush draws on the board.

I'd have a hard time believing he has 9T 9J or 9Q with a preflop raise in middle position with the blinds still at 25/50. 9T is possible, but I'd only consider it if I had seen him raise previously with suited connectors that early in the game.

Besides, he probably just has a busted diamond draw and is pushing you off the hand anyway. The check/call on the turn was suspicious.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
do don't bet 400 on turn, that is a complete nothing bet, either 700 to make him think or preferably check behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that's what i'm figuring. I should've bet much bigger on the turn. I'm thinking a missed flush b/c he's showed weakness up to the river. Sets, 2-pair, and most better hands, play much more aggressively on flop.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Fold pf

[/ QUOTE ]

Really...115BB on the button? Also, does anyone raise this flop? I've been playing live maniacal cash games for the last 6 months so my bearings may be off. With that weak lead, I raise the flop. And I take the free river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's the right line.

Preflop call with AJ that deep is fine of course, but the flop is where you should have raised.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Fold pf

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's the right line.

Preflop call with AJ that deep is fine of course, but the flop is where you should have raised.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get this at all. What are we possibly folding out on that flop with a raise in a $10? Also, does anyone 3bet pre? We're OTB with what is probably the best hand. I usually 3bet this pre, then take it down with a cbet on the rag flop that usually comes.