Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2007, 01:05 AM

Default Start spreading the news... (NYC Poker)

New York Times article

It may require registration to read... not sure.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:14 AM

Default Re: Start spreading the news... (NYC Poker)

Who is Mr. McLoughlin? I remember TT said he talked to some journalists?
Old 11-11-2007, 01:22 AM

Bingo.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:16 AM

So don't talk about anything online... but to the NY times, that's ok?

such hypocrisy
Old 11-11-2007, 02:38 AM

All he talked about were things that have already happened, clubs that have come and gone. Nothing hypocritical about that. The rule is not to talk about clubs that are currently operating.
Old 11-11-2007, 03:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

such hypocrisy

[/ QUOTE ]

He only discussed clubs that had been in the media already, this is consitant with the posting rules. I don't normally take up for TT, but he did apply the same rules to himself that he enforces on this board, no hypocracy in that.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:00 AM

I don't know TT (at least, I don't think I do, although B down at ... told me I probably knew him by sight), but the article gives NY poker a nice favorable slant and every club mentioned has been closed. So I'd say he did a good job. It also describes Frank as the good guy he was, which is a good thing.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:24 AM

TT - did you mention how much better off it'd be if it was legalized? Or did you try not to bring "politics" into it out of respect to Frank?
Old 11-11-2007, 05:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

such hypocrisy

[/ QUOTE ]

The policy has always been don't discuss news of these clubs until it has been reported in the mainstream press. TT has always been fair and consistent about this.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
TT - did you mention how much better off it'd be if it was legalized? Or did you try not to bring "politics" into it out of respect to Frank?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to that the NY Times for changing the focus of their story, what started out as an expose on the seedy underground of poker became a fantastic article about what the NY poker community really is, its intrinsic value in society, and the hypocrisy of the legality of poker vs the illegality (is that a word) of renting a seat to play poker in a members-only club. It was a close decision because I value my anonymity but the potential good of this article far outweighs the risk for me in exposing who I am in the real world.

I spent 1.5 hours on the phone with the NY Times, we talked about everything in detail. I'd like to thank the author for agreeing to keep certain things off the record and understanding why it was best to not discuss things such as how security and membership work to assure that potential robbers don't learn the trade secrets from a newspaper article. I declined the request for a picture out of respect for Frank (in addition to my own privacy concerns), although the article moved away from him as the focus of the story I didn't feel it was right since he gave my life and I only gave my time.

Before and after speaking with the times I consulted with three former poker room operators so they knew what my intentions were since more details would be disclosed than ever before by someone in the know(nothing new for us of course, but lots of new stuff for the newspaper reading audience), and I got approval from Mason & Mat (thanks guys!) who were initially contacted by the Times (provided that I don't speak on behalf of 2+2 directly - only Mason can do that of course).

My only hope is that Frank's legacy can be used for good. The NY State legislature needs to revisit the laws governing poker and other games of skill suck as Chess and Backgammon. There needs to be a common code. If they believe poker and all other games of skill should be illegal then remove the loopholes that encourage underground poker clubs to exist. Other wise do the smart thing - legalize games of skill, regulate the playing of these games (including chess, that game can be ripe with hustlers and semi-legal activity), and tax the businesses where poker and other games of skill are played ala California.

Its funny because i have always been a naysayer when it comes to legalization in the state of NY, but thats mostly because there is no true lobby or news-backing. This article might be the first step if its read by the right people in Albany, I hope there will some chance for change in the future - it would be a fitting memorial in Frank's name.

PS: I was slightly misquoted about Frank, they left out that I hadn't played with him in 3 years but I don't think thats a big error since his name was not sullied in the slightest and they corrected the previous misunderstanding by letting the readers know that he has been a part of the NY Poker underground scene for decades.

PPS: The Bergen Record and ABCNEWS.com also wrote positive articles, but I am especially happy about the Times for obvious reasons.