Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2007, 11:54 AM

Default Re: What do you want/where do you want to live when you are retired?

humans, by nature, are dream chasers. once we achieve all of our dreams, all of our goals, there is only death. i dont ever want to be completely satisfied with my situation. i always want to be working towards something more. it makes me sick when ppl just sit around bashing ppl who are posting what their heart desires, who they want to be, where they want to live. whether or not its possible is irrelevant.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:04 PM

I don't care what strangers on the internet do. But you don't believe that you have a duty to look out for your friends and family who are wasting their time pursuing complete pipe dreams that they will never achieve?

I use to co-host a nightlife TV show. We had a lot of bands and DJs on. Some had been at it for years yet were still playing local gigs for chump change and dreaming of making it big. I use to think what is wrong with the friends and family of these people that no one tells them it is never going to happen.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:24 PM

Ari-

I have a very clear picture of what I want and how I am going to get it. I don't sit around and wait for it to come to me. I know it won't. But there is a big difference between waiting for life to happen and making life happen. To say talking about dreams is pointless is like creating something and having no idea what you want the end result to be. Am I going to want all of these things when I'm sixty? Maybe not. But by working for that result now gives me choices for when I am in that position. And yes, you are being cynical. However, I do agree that far too many people expect [censored] to fall in their laps and view their future as a set inevitibility and its those people who are better off not setting those goals because they will only be disappointed.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
humans, by nature, are dream chasers. once we achieve all of our dreams, all of our goals, there is only death. i dont ever want to be completely satisfied with my situation. i always want to be working towards something more. it makes me sick when ppl just sit around bashing ppl who are posting what their heart desires, who they want to be, where they want to live. whether or not its possible is irrelevant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hear! Hear!

T
Old 11-02-2007, 01:48 PM

AZK,

I think there are three fundamentally different types of people when it comes to life direction/planning/etc.

Type one: Lives just in the moment, no plans

Type two: Have general direction, but really focused more on short/medium term achievable stuff and will create next step of plan based on what happens

Type three: Have a pretty structured idea of things they want to achieve and how they are going to get there. Take actions based on moving forward along that path

I'm clearly in the middle, and it sounds like you are too. I have some very broad brush stroke ideas of things that I'd like to accomplish, but that's pretty much it. Like you I generally know what types of things/activities/relationships are important and enjoyable to me, so make decisions with a general idea of increasing the quantity and quality of those things. But in terms of what exactly I want to do and how exactly I want to get there, [censored], I have no idea really.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:02 PM

Also, I have no idea why, but this post automatically made me think of this short article: http://www.iwillteachyoutoberich.com/blo...s-info-diet.pdf

for some reason it really struck a chord with me and I've been making a conscious effort to go on an information diet.

Great general site also if you have time to look around.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:18 PM

Interesting and timely topic. I just turned 50 and realized that the dreams/plans/expectations I had when I was 20 are so very different from what I currently think about.

When I was younger I wanted to retire young and spend the rest of my life playing at whatever interested me at the moment. Now many years later I have come to the opposite conclusion.

When my parents retired to Florida we went to visit. So very depressing. The people there had plenty of money but no real reason to get up in the morning. They had nothing to occupy their time and the saddest part was watching guys follow their wives around all day because they had nothing to do. The people with nothing to look forward quickly deteriorated both physically and mentally.

Currently I can't imagine ever retiring.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When my parents retired to Florida we went to visit. So very depressing. The people there had plenty of money but no real reason to get up in the morning. They had nothing to occupy their time and the saddest part was watching guys follow their wives around all day because they had nothing to do. The people with nothing to look forward quickly deteriorated both physically and mentally

[/ QUOTE ]

My experience has been the complete opposite. I retired very young and I love it. There are so many things to do.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I have no idea why, but this post automatically made me think of this short article: http://www.iwillteachyoutoberich.com/blo...s-info-diet.pdf

for some reason it really struck a chord with me and I've been making a conscious effort to go on an information diet.

Great general site also if you have time to look around.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shhh .... part of my goals involves you reading my stuff. If you go on a diet, I starve too.

Seriously though. on a long-ago blog I once posted this poll: Are you a Consumer or a Producer?

Consumers outnumbered producers 2-1, and that was self-admittedly, which I found pretty depressing.

My goals and dreams are to make things - whatever they may be - and to spend my time enjoying whatever it is I'm doing. If that happens to be on my private island with my 60-foot yacht, well, so be it.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dreams = Goals, it's the same thing IMO. You can't REACH the goal/dream unless you HAVE one.

Without dreams/goals, what are we working for/towards??

[/ QUOTE ]

"A goal is a dream with a deadline"

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?"

hee hee