Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2007, 12:34 PM

Default Re: Can\'t color up to $100\'s, WTF?

I was at Garden City in San Jose last Friday night and a women at my 3/6 table colored up to 100 chip. She seemed to know many of the dealers, floor people and chip runners though, so maybe that is why they did it for her.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:44 PM

I also hate people coloring up at low limits.

#1.) Having lots of chips is the nuts.

#2.) People who color up are ALWAYS morons who are trying to rathole or "preserve" a win. And inevitably they always lose back and have to put those stupid big chips back in player. Retarded.

#3.) If you don't like chips, you are always free to hand them to me. I like lots of chips.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

#2.) People who color up are ALWAYS morons who are trying to rathole or "preserve" a win. And inevitably they always lose back and have to put those stupid big chips back in player. Retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]
But isn’t this the kind of player you want playing at your table. I don’t care if they want to color up. I don’t want the house to do anything that might make them leave the table.
Old 08-04-2007, 04:18 AM

Got back from Garden City tonight. Several players at my 3/6 table colored up to $100 chips without any questions or difficulty. If Garden City really has this policy, it is being very inconsistently enforced.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:54 AM

I color up frequently. It can get cumbersome having 400-500 in $1 chips in front of you.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I color up frequently. It can get cumbersome having 400-500 in $1 chips in front of you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Coloring up to $5s is fine. The question was about drastic color-ups, like $1s to $100s.

It was only recently I learned in my cardroom there are rules somewhere about this, but they're not consistently enforced. More a "there if you need it" kind of thing. I try to enforce it, because big chips = little action. But yeah, most people aren't going to prevent you from turning a rack of $1 into one $100 chip at 3/6, but you really shouldn't do it.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Coloring up to $5s is fine. The question was about drastic color-ups, like $1s to $100s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is what I do. It's common in L.A.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:25 PM

If you're a regular and know to color down when appropriate without holding up the game or expecting the dealer to do it out of the rack, then I can see how they'd be fine with it. It's more the fish for whom it's a problem, so I'm sure you can understand that we want them with as easily spendable chips as possible.

But consider this... While you may be fine with breaking big chips at good times to keep the game going, think of how others are viewing you in general. You may be giving fish ideas that they should convert all those fun to throw around chips into one solid never spend chunk. And if a fish does break one, his/her mood certainly changes away from happy and long-term profitable. You're helping those from whom you make money to implement a stop-loss. Are a few stacks of $5s really that much bother?
Old 08-06-2007, 03:40 PM

Coloring up is adviseable when:
1. You have a large enough of stack to not have to color down barring a major, major downswing.
2. You're at a game that may require you to move around alot.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:30 PM

If you're building that big of a stack, somebody at the table is going to be constantly pulling out $100 bills. I just start selling them stacks and leave the $100s on the table under all of the remaining stacks. However, $100s play everywhere I've been playing lately.