Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 11-07-2007, 02:12 PM

Default Help me with my roughly 9 month plan for SnG

Since I have school, I can't hit poker as hard right now, but here's my plan. Don't LOL at it [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] but make some suggestions [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

-----

Thanksgiving break - Read either "SnG strategy" by Moshman or "Kill Everyone" by Streib, and read it hard. Need to know which book is better to read in a 5 day span. And when I say read, I will read it like I do a textbook. Sheet of notebook paper and take notes. Highlight key facts. Read that [censored] hard.

Thanksgiving break to winter break - Donate plasma or something, and put in $100. Practice the concepts playing $5 SnG, and if I lose half of it, to go back down to $2. If I go on a nice run and hit $200, then move up to $10. I will attempt to be more disciplined with my bankroll management, trying to stay within the 20BB range.

Winter Break (1 month) - Reread book. Read the other book hard. After that, read both again. Continue to play, donate plasma again if on tilt. Read HoH 1 hard when I'm done with rereading the other books.

Winter Break until summer - play, play, play. Hopefully I have a decent ROI to continue playing, or donate plasma again. Review either book at the end of each month. Stay disciplined with my bankroll. Not the time to think "OMG I'm good at poker!". All about learning. Also have school, so this time is just making sure I don't lose what I have learned.

Summer - Review the other books, and read the HoH series hard. Then read them again an hour or two a day, and play, play, and play. Play home games, play bar tourney and the side games they have, just play a lot. If I get a decent bankroll, then invest in cardrunners.

After summer - pwn, find some other books to read, and repeat what I just did (hopefully at higher limits)

-----

So there it is. I figure it's better than what I'm currently doing, which is do well for a while, move up way too soon, freak out, then go on tilt. I would LOVE any suggestions and criticism.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:06 PM

Default Re: Help me with my roughly 9 month plan for SnG

Overall, your plan looks ok. However, you are starting with a bankroll that is too small for those levels.

Twenty buy-ins is quite aggressive for playing SNGs, even at low stakes. SNG players usually recommend having much more than that.

Twenty buy-ins would be quite conservative for low stakes NL cash games, if you have a decent winning track record.

These depend on your win rates. For the same number of buy-ins to be appropriate, your win rate in big blinds/100 in a NL cash game should correspond to a ROI of 4 times as great for a 9 or 10 player SNG. That is, if you feel 20 buy-ins is right for you in NL with a win rate of 15 big blinds/100 hands (achieved by many players), then 20 buy-ins is right in SNGs if your ROI is 60%, which no one sustains.

It sounds like you are applying "20 buy-ins" out of context. You probably want to use a larger number, such as 50 or 100. Rather than a fixed number, you should use a number of buy-ins which increases with the stakes, since you need more buy-ins in tougher games where your win rate is lower.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:36 PM

When you say stay within 20 BB range do you mean 20 buy-in range? I think the last BR management thing i saw said 30 buy-ins.

Study Harrington first and read both one and two -two is probably more important if you have a basic understanding. Play and re-read until you are comfortable with it.

At some point you should also read theory of Poker which i think is a must read for any half-decent player.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:25 PM

You need a much larger bankroll than what you are suggesting for those limits.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, to be fair, as long as he has plasma, isn't his bankroll basically endless? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2007, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you might want to include a part time job in your plan. Untill you get your bankroll built up.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:34 PM

Thanks for the replies, I did mean "buy-in" instead of "big blind"

So bankroll management...would it be better to start out at something like $60 for $2, $200 for $5, $500 for $10? Of course I likely would not reach that. That's 30x, 40x, and 50x. Before, I was doing $50 for $5, and when I reached $100 I moved up to $10...not good to say the least. Also, say I reach $200, and lose immediately (playing 2 at once) and get to $190. Do I move down to $2 right away?

LOL, I will get a summer job, but I'd rather not use that for online poker bankroll. I'd rather use extra money, like donating plasma for that [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

Any other suggestions regarding improving my poker education, like how often I should read, what to look for, book suggestions? Isn't HoH geared more towards multi-table tournaments? I assume the info is still very valuable though.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:39 PM

low stake SNG, it's pretty much donkfest bingo, when you run bad, it can be costly as there is alot of player that will call you with medicore hands, and suckout. nothing you can do about it.
i switch from mainly tournment to cash game.
i start playing $5 buy-in. move to $10 now back to $5.
here is movement of my bankroll. so you can get expection on why you need bigger roll.
start $200 to $600 to burst, deposte $200 to $400 to $10 move to cash game with $10. now $1500 bankroll
i still play tourny, but mostly 45-90players. as when i do take it down. the return is alot bigger, and i won't get piss off when i get suckout.
45player, win 1st = 15 buyin, win 2nd =11 buy-in.
for SNG. it's hard to beat the 10% rake. when there are alot of lucky donky that want to play bingo.
it kinda force you to play bingo as well, blind is getting bigger and bigger.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:54 PM

If I was you, I would head over to the STT Strategy forum (commonly called STTF) and start with the FAQ sticky. Then drop by the [censored] thread and introduce yourself to the forum. Start posting once you know the proper procedures and lingo. Then profit!
Old 11-10-2007, 05:48 PM

just wondering, should I shift my focus on cash games, rather than sng during my 9 plan? seems like that would be more profitable...