Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2007, 09:56 AM

Default sooon2b\'s 5x5 + Diet Log

I made a post about a month ago about figuring out a workout plan. I have spent the past month trying to get in the routine of doing these exercises, and figuring out what my 5RM is for each workout.

I do have some questions about the deadlifts. At my school's gym, we have octagonal weights, which are pretty retarded. So, wtf do I do as far as deads? I saw a football player load up a barbell from a waist high rack, and do what seemed to be deads, but without letting the weights hit the ground. Are these what I should be doing?

My biggest concern is my diet. I usually dont pay much attention to it, and eat like 3 enormous meals a day instead of small ones... I also smoke pot(dont worry, its not AS bad as you think, I use the volcano) on a daily basis. We dont need to get into an argument about me not smoking anymore. However, any advice on how to handle the muchies, or healthier snacks I could be eating, that would be great. The diet is easily the biggest challenge for me right now.

Right now I am 5"10 ~200 lbs. I would love to get down to <180.

On to the log...
Old 10-08-2007, 10:36 AM

Default Re: sooon2b\'s 5x5 + Diet Log

What's the problem with deadlifting octagonal weights?
Old 10-08-2007, 01:18 PM

I normally don;t post in this forum so if be kind.

There is nothing wrong with octogonal weights, it only makes it akward when trying to move the bar forward. Besides when you deadlift you should set your grip first and then set your stance so the bar not moving will not be an issue.

What you saw the football player do is a version but not something you should do. Part of the success of the deadlift is deweighting the bar between each rep. Use the full range of motion you will benefit more.

As far as the meals you have to work on it. Instead of jumping into a new meal plan add another meal once a week, then you wont notice. This way it will also help with the added calories.

As far as smoking the pot, your a teenager, you know everyhting right (I thought I did too). A little tip though is that marijuana use increases catabolism so your hard earned gains will be less noticed.

If your interested in a munchie though get some almonds to snack on and if you stomcah it eat some cottage cheese. Both sources of protein and will help with your meal problem.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

A little tip though is that marijuana use increases catabolism so your hard earned gains will be less noticed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm... source?
Old 10-08-2007, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

A little tip though is that marijuana use increases catabolism so your hard earned gains will be less noticed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course. John Berardi wrote an article on it, but I assume you would want something more substantial so I found a few studies on PubMed. (I fail at the Internet so I cannot diretcly link you but I will post them instead)

STUDY - Acute effects of smoking marijuana on hormones, subjective effects and performance in male human subjects.
POINT - "Plasma LH was significantly depressed and cortisol was significantly elevated after smoking marijuana"
LINK - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez...Pubmed_RVDocSum

A study realting showing how performace is affected for up to 24 hours after smoking. Makes me not want to do a military press.
STUDY - Acute and residual effects of marijuana: profiles of plasma THC levels, physiological, subjective, and performance measures.
LINK - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez..._RVAbstractPlus

Ummm... source?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-08-2007, 02:23 PM

replace chips and other [censored] with fruit.

also, almonds have a lot of calories, so if you're trying to lose weight you shouldn't regularly snack on them. I'm not saying they're not good for you, but it will be hard to eat a lot of them and cut calories.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:23 PM

So what does all of that mean?
Old 10-08-2007, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So what does all of that mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

Deadlift with the weights.

Try to limit the partying and especially the bad food choices after.

Clean up your diet. You know the problems now fix it. Doing it gradually is easier to do and it will help you stick with it give you an easier tansition.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:40 PM

I dont think people understand the problem with octagon weights. When you have lifted the bar your done with he lift and drop the bar, but the octagon weights can make it rotate towards you and hit your shins. Or atleast this is the problem Ive had with them. I dont know how to fix it.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont think people understand the problem with octagon weights. When you have lifted the bar your done with he lift and drop the bar, but the octagon weights can make it rotate towards you and hit your shins. Or atleast this is the problem Ive had with them. I dont know how to fix it.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you say "drop" do you actually drop it or jsut lower it?

If you drop it then don't lowering the weight is an important part of the lift.

When you lower it yes the weights can roll back an inch or two. Yes it's a pain when it hits your shins but think of it as way to deweight between each rep. It's etehr that or stop deadlifting, IMO I will deal with some bruises.

That's the problem with all of these new gyms they load up with machines and horrible plates.