Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2007, 03:41 AM

Default [O8 0.05/0.10] fold river?

hi!

in this hand i had good chances to scoop the pot till the river. but after the rivercard i only have the nut-low and a raising-war starts. afterwards i think i should have better folded my hand, after the 3-bet of the BB because i'm very probably quatered at least, no?

thanks for your feedback already now!

PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Omaha/8 (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

River: (11.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 caps</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 23.50 BB
Old 10-08-2007, 05:29 AM

Default Re: [O8 0.05/0.10] fold river?

You cannot fold the river. In the worst case (1/6) you get at least 3.5 BB for the 4 BB you have to call.

You missed a mandatory 3-bet on the flop. Preflop and turn were OK IMO.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:31 AM

3-bet and cap the flop for value! You're missing too much value with your monster draws and uncounter-feitable low

River play is fine.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:31 AM

hi!

thx for the answers. i think i now will do better next time, when i have an uncounterfeitable monsterdraw.

2 more questions:

1.) am i right, that if the low was not unouterfeitable, it wouldn't be a 3-bet/cap flop situation?

2.) if the turncard didn't hurt my counterfeit-protection should i also 3-bet/cap the turn in these situations? i guess rater no, because there are only 3 players in. am i rights?

greetings and thx for your advice,
andi
Old 10-08-2007, 10:43 AM

It is still right to 3-bet/cap any A-2-x-x with clubs, even non-nut clubs.

To the second, you should still cap too. In both cases, you're raising for value.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:58 AM

No way do you fold the river.

1) It's .10 limit and if I ever play that low and fold the nuts, I'll quit poker.
2) You have such a pretty hand you've got to show it. If only to start complaining about how bad you got screwed. Let's learn how to be a proper omaha player, which includes a lot of bitching.

Let's go back and look at this hand. The first thing that shocked me out of all the opportunities to bet and/or raise you only took one, that was the initial flop bet. I would of bet/capped every street until you get to the river.

There are at least two reasons to do this
1) You made the nuts. Not a draw, the nuts! You have one of the best starting hands in o/8 As23x You hit your dream flop and don't get as much money in as possible. The only reason not bet or raise in this situation is to get the most money in the pot. If that means check raising or just calling a raise to encourage limpers, do the right thing.

2) Exactly what happened to you on the river. How can the other person who has nut low, know that you have it as well? You shown no interest in pot at all after initial flop bet and now your just check calling like a wuss. Compare this to reraising the flop or on the turn. Either way both players should read you for nut low. This should slow the betting down on the river.

On the turn:

I think I raise here. I really want to get the hand heads up, now that may not be possible, but you can make either of these players with an A2 squirm. You also want to try to move the spade flushes, at least tax suckers going runner runner.

You also have extra outs for the nuts, If that 5 comes on the river the guy who made wheel will be crushed by your wheel and seven high.

Your dream scenario is the better has a3 he's so happy he caught he just can't wait to bet. You raise and the other guy doesn't want to get crushed so he folds. You are now in the lead for 3/4 unless he has A35.

In Omaha your looking for the nuts with draws to other nuts. That's exactly what you had this hand.

On the flop betting and raising should just help build the pot. On the turn it will help make a giant pot or help one of those people to fold increasing your chances of getting more of it. Now that's not playing poker that's investing.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:30 AM

raise raise raise.

raise.