Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2007, 07:35 PM

Default iPhone vs iPod Touch: What say you EDF?

So Ive been reading all the stuff on the new iPod touch that was just announced, as I am sure many of you have. I'm kind of going stream of consciousness here but I think its an interesting subject. Some common themes Ive seen emerging on various blog comments, forums, reviews, etc.

1. iTouch is the iPhone killer. I sort of agree with this but not to the degree that some people think, if that makes sense. I do think signing an exclusive deal with ATT was a bad move on Apples part. I know they moved a lot of iPhones so far but I think they wouldve seen even better returns with unlocked phones.

2. iTouch sucks because the max storage 16 gigs. I dont agree with this at all. Is it really necessary to carry your entire music collection on your portable device? Still I realize this is a big deal to a lot of people and I wouldnt be surprised if Apple rolls out a larger capacity version.

These are the two big ones I've seen, feel free to chime in with any thoughts you might have, especially on the first two points I raised. Im especially interested to hear from those that have experience with business plans, marketing etc. I am very intrigued with Apple's decision to roll out a new product that essentially duplicates or even betters a product that you just released and want to hear some thoughts on that.

I will say personally speaking, Im pretty happy with my iRiver T10 but both the iPhone and the iTouch are pretty damn sweet and actually make me want an iWhatever for the first time.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:46 PM

Default Re: iPhone vs iPod Touch: What say you EDF?

To me, the difference 8gb and 16gb is minimal. What I mean is that both an 8gb and 16gb device will require me to plan ahead if I want something specific while still letting me keep all my favorites on. Once you jump to the 160gb or the 80gb you're looking at being able to keep your whole collection on the iPod which is nice.

So, since the 8gb = 16gb in my mind, and the 8gb iPhone is the same price as the 16gb iPod touch, and the iPhone can be unlocked without signing up for the service, I'll take the iPhone. If I knew I were going to be in the market for a new phone any time in the next year or so I would probably get hte iPhone and use it as only an mp3 player until I got the phone. As it is, I need a new phone right now, so the 8gb iPhone is easily the best choice for me.

FWIW, and I don't think very many people know this, you can do pay-as-you-go with the iPhone if you don't want to sign up for a contract or you have bad credit.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:49 PM

iPhone/iTouch is another step closer to a real, functioning Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I think it's amazing.

As I mentioned in the OOT thread, if you could get a poker client like Stars to work on this thing (it comes standard with wifi and the Safari browser), I would insta-buy it and shelve my laptop.

Edited to add: They do need to bump up the HDD capacity though. Poker client or no, if this could hold 80+ gigs I'd probably buy one anyway.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:18 PM

isn't the itouch limited to space due to it being a flash drive, and the largest flash drive size right now is 16gb? i don't really keep up on this stuff though.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:04 PM

Location: tell them ill be here when they come 4 me, me and every single n1gga dat got love 4 me, see i got money on my mind, but the haters wont leave me alone, so im ridin everyday wit every pistol dat i own

your not gonna get poker on the itouch. you cant get it on the iphone which is the exact same thing
Old 09-05-2007, 10:04 PM

The iTouch is going to stay flash based for the same reason as the iPhone: battery life. SSHD are getting bigger but are still expensive. It may be another generation before you see an iTouch hit 32G.

The interesting price point is the 8GB iTouch. There doesn't seem to be much reason to get one of these. You can either upgrade to the same size phone or twice the size iTouch for a hundred bucks. I don't see the point in this one and wouldn't be surprised if a 16GB iPhone comes out before Xmas.

There is a pretty large difference between 8 and 16GB as far as planning is concerned. I have the songs I listen to and 4 movies on the 8GB phone and would love to not have to make as many decisions before a trip.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:56 PM

Are there any organizer functions in the iTouch? If so, it's pretty close to the ideal device for me.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:02 PM

Vulture,

I just loaded up Apple's site to confirm, thinking I had lost my mind but the iTouch has no cell phone capabilities so I am at a loss for how it could be an iPhone killer.

An "ideal device" comment such as Jcrew's does not make sense to me as I cannot call people on the iTouch and thus it is far from ideal to me.
J
Old 09-05-2007, 11:03 PM

Location: tell them ill be here when they come 4 me, me and every single n1gga dat got love 4 me, see i got money on my mind, but the haters wont leave me alone, so im ridin everyday wit every pistol dat i own

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see the point in this one and wouldn't be surprised if a 16GB iPhone comes out before Xmas.

[/ QUOTE ]sept 25th 16gb and 3g is coming to europe.
http://motorola.engadgetmobile.com/2007/...-we-might-know/
Old 09-05-2007, 11:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are there any organizer functions in the iTouch? If so, it's pretty close to the ideal device for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

The iPhone has a simple calendar but no real organizer app built in. GTD (get things done) apps appear to be really popular on the Mac and several are integrated with the web and have iPhone interfaces, which is almost the same thing, but I haven't tried them. Google Calendar also fits really well on mobile Safari.