Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2007, 02:41 PM

Default NL100: TP vs pretty dry board vs VERY strange pattern.

Villain 44/14/2.5 (2.5/2.2/3.9)

This flat check/raise and mini turn bet doesn't understandable pattern for me at all.

Can I call river when all major draws busts and villain makes very strange big bet?

Would you 3bet him on flop instead of calling? How would you play this hand?

Party Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.50/$1
4 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $77.53
Hero: $80
SB: $99
BB: $127.90

Pre-flop: (4 players) Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $5</font>, 2 folds, UTG calls.

Flop: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($11.5, 2 players)
UTG checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $8</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG raises to $16</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($43.5, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">UTG bets $15</font>, Hero calls.

River: 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($73.5, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">UTG is all-in $41.53</font>, Hero calls.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:15 PM

Default Re: NL100: TP vs pretty dry board vs VERY strange pattern.

His river bet isn't big, it's only 1/2 pot-sized, which is usually a value-bet.

His flop min-raise can mean various things. I'd say that his range is a King, a draw or a strong hand (2-pair/set).
If he's drawing, I think he would probably raise more though to buy some Fold Equity. He is pretty aggressive post-flop.

I'd probably just call the flop, and see what he does on the turn. Your hand isn't really strong enough to felt unless you have a major read on villain.

On the turn you have to call because villains raise is so small. He might be betting weakly with a monster to induce a raise, or he might be trying to buy a cheap river card with a draw. Some villains will also bet weakly with marginal top-pairs in this spot. It's like they don't really know what to do, but they don't like betting pot sized, 'cause they're scared you might be slowplaying, but the also don't like checking. They think betting for info, to find out where they're at, is a good idea, and they don't realize they're giving all the draws a good price to continue.

The river could be a value bet, and it could be a bluff, but you got this far with your weak made hand, and villain certainly has aggresive enough stats that he might try for a bluff with a missed draw. You're getting 3:1 on your call. You only have to be good 25% of the time to make this call profitable, so I say call. FWIW I think a monster will bet bigger on one of those streets, so I figure his range on the river is a King (not sure how big of a kicker) or a missed draw.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:21 PM

Default Re: NL100: TP vs pretty dry board vs VERY strange pattern.

Thank you very much for deep analysis. I really appreciate that!

btw vilain showed AQ and MHIG.