Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2007, 10:05 PM

Default One day I will learn how to play 10/20 LO8

All unknown villains. Didn't feel like playing holdem and there were no good looking other games going so I figured I'd give learning Omaha 8 another try. Flop raise to get sb out yes? Turn call because of maybe best hand plus outs to scoop?

PokerStars 10/20 Omaha/8 (7 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls.

Turn: (5 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks
Old 05-14-2007, 10:17 PM

Default Re: One day I will learn how to play 10/20 LO8

Ehh, I'm not crazy about any of this to be honest. And, depending on how the button plays, I'm not sure I even like the preflop raise. It's a little rough for me with few to no reads.

The flop is rough, imo, too. I know what you were trying to achieve, but that's not a real good flop for you in O8, not to mention that you had no way of knowing how the sb OR the bb was going to react, and now you have put in two bets while still being in the dark with your KK, plus you open up the betting again. You don't need to do this just because you open raised the hand. And, of course, once you get that turn card, you must call.I know some players who raise there, but without the read and not knowing how aggressive he is, I think I'd prefer to play it more cautiously. And I take the river, too.

Old 05-15-2007, 05:07 PM

You're on the right track.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:48 PM

Raising this hand preflop is terrible in this spot.

Flop raise is ugly, ugly ugly ugly.

Turn call is standard.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:58 PM

So this is a muck preflop? Fold flop? Call flop and fold low turns?
Old 05-16-2007, 12:16 AM

In CO, FTA you are basically trying to steal the blinds and/or buy the BTN. If you get a flop as you've seen in this hand, you are basically drawing for half the pot (trying to get your money back). You have no way to know if your hand is good. Calling the flop bet is a mistake (hoping to catch).

Your opponent probably has a good low draw and maybe two pair (or set) &amp; knows he's a favorite in the hand.

On the turn things get worse, now you also face a possible flush draw. Your OESD is just not that valuable. You could make your hand and still loose. You have 2 outs to scoop the pot (non-diamond [9]s). If the [A] comes you'll split with the low or get scooped by diamonds.

You played a dog's hand &amp; your steal didn't work. It's time to learn what to do with trash pre-flop. You need a read on the players to make your steal effective. Arethey capable of folding pre-flop. If you've been playing loose and have a weak image, your raises have almost no chance of success. You're just spewing money.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:57 AM

The raise is not a bad thing there. YOu should be raising and if not you are playing way to tight. Everything else is bad though. When that flop came out you were dead in the water and you just have to take your loss there. Play good and you will get payed off. Raises and re-raises are not a bad thing when you play properly.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
On the turn things get worse, now you also face a possible flush draw. Your OESD is just not that valuable. You could make your hand and still loose. You have 2 outs to scoop the pot (non-diamond [9]s). If the [A] comes you'll split with the low or get scooped by diamonds.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's way too pessimistic because thanks to the venturous flop raise it's heads up now and the size of the pot matters, too. The chance that villain is suited in diamonds is smaller than 25%. If he has any low it might well get counterfeited. For instance when he holds something like AQ34 an Ace falling on the river would completely destroy his hand. There are also chances to overtake queens up when one of the right cards (J and 2 or 4) pairs. And then there's still the possibility that KK is the best high hand at the turn. BB might well be betting a nut low draw plus wrap around straight draw. Who knows?

I like the way this hand was played very much though I would play it completely differently, if at all.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Raising this hand preflop is terrible in this spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

it is definitely not terrible
Old 05-16-2007, 09:33 AM

There are so many better cards to play - I would seldom get involved in a pot with these cards. You have to mix things up - so fine as a one shot, but I have a feeling this is a normal strategy for some of the responders here.

Usually, this is a fold p/f - after that, your chances of losing more money got worse on the flop.