Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2006, 04:48 PM

Default Re: Hooked on hooks

It seems opinion is unanimous that I should have reraised. I was kicking myself for not reraising at the table, but thinking "gee, a good player either has 2 overcards or an overpair."

I did, in fact, fold to the flop bet by the coldcaller - and kick myself when the showdown was won by the raiser's A9s when he paired his nine on the turn. Yech. Guess I didn't realize quite how bad the people were at that table.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"gee, a good player either has 2 overcards or an overpair."

[/ QUOTE ]

A good player could also have 88,99, or TT. Also, chances are much greater that he has overcards rather than a large pocket pair because of hand combinations.

Haupt_234
Old 06-29-2006, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It seems opinion is unanimous that I should have reraised.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's not opinion; reraising pf is the best play.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:05 PM

I'm gonna beat a dead horse, but for God's sake, re-raise PF. Its not just a value raise, its a power, position, and protection raise (the three p's of poker, if you will). Many 2/4 players cold call 2 with any Ace, pocket pair, or two suited. A 3 bet looks far less enticing to them, and you'll be happy you re- raised when an A comes. Ironically, cold-calling with AA here is much less of a mistake, because the chances that some dork hits top pair over you is impossible. I'm gonna say this again: NEVER slowplay jacks preflop in 2/4 unless you want to think of them like pocket 88 and make less money when you don't hit a set.

On the flop as played, I tend to raise here. Its one of those immediate information raises with some chance of taking down the pot or getting a free showdown.