Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2007, 06:23 AM

Default Adjustments when you have the half-kill button

Quick review for those who don't play in kill games: when you win the pot, a 'kill button' is pushed to you along with the pot. If you win a second pot in a row, you post a double-size blind to the third hand and the betting limits are doubled.

Most of the discussion I've seen in the past about kill games has focused on how to deal with the third blind on the kill hand (and, in places where it applies, how to deal with the kill blind acting last preflop.)

Does anyone have any thoughts on what adjustments to make after you win *one* hand?

My first thought is that if I win a second hand I'll immediately be putting one big bet out in the middle of the table... so during the second hand, I have artificial reverse implied odds - conceptually thinking of the pot I am attempting to win as 1BB smaller than the pot I see on the table in front of me. (Needing 5:1 instead of 4:1 to call a 4-flush on the turn, for instance.)
Old 03-09-2007, 10:49 AM

Default Re: Adjustments when you have the half-kill button

If your playing at a full table I don't think this happends enough to worry about.

I think what you are saying would be the case if you had to post the kill blind but not play the hand. You have a chance to win your money back with trash just like you do in the bb sometimes.
Old 03-10-2007, 02:23 AM

Default Re: Adjustments when you have the half-kill button

[ QUOTE ]

during the second hand, I have artificial reverse implied odds - conceptually thinking of the pot I am attempting to win as 1BB smaller than the pot I see on the table in front of me. (Needing 5:1 instead of 4:1 to call a 4-flush on the turn, for instance.)

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds about right--but the penalty is less than one BB since your blind in the kill pot has some value.

I'd give position adjustment to the implied odds penalty too, less if you're going to be in late position next hand.

====================================

Today I played in a game of Omaha Hi-Lo with a half kill--in this version, you get the kill button if you scoop a pot, instead of having to win two in a row. It's much less clear to me what adjustment to make for this situation--am I going to try to avoid scooping a pot?