Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2006, 09:15 AM

Default Re: Ankeny: Poker Strategy: Win with Game Theory

[ QUOTE ]
It's simply one of the best books ever written on poker. The challenge is to try to adapt these concepts to games other than 5C-Draw. Awesome stuff for poker scientists.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. Saying it's just a draw poker book is like saying TOP is just a limit book. By the way, it shows up on e-bay pretty regularly. I bought my copy there for $25.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:40 AM

I got mine from a book shop in Italy. Had to use Babelfish to translate my letter, because the vendor didn't speak english. Translation software usually sucks, but in this case it got the job done.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Worth the $85 but if you can get it cheaper then do so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, your friendly neighborhood library may have a copy you can borrow for free.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am in the UK there are few poker books in the libraries and the ones that are in the libraries are hopeless mainstream stuff like Play Poker To Win by Amarillo Slim Preston.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:17 PM

This book is valuable because Andy Bloch mentioned it in a post on his web site and said he read it many years ago and it was, in his opinion, one of the best books ever written on poker. That alone wouldn’t make it valuable but for the fact that it has been out of print for many years and probably had a pretty short print-run to begin with. So, the book is somewhat scarce.

This book has been WAY over hyped. It is not nearly as good as people are trying to make it. I bought this book way back when it was new (I’m thinking 1981 or 1982) and at the time, I remember thinking it was great. However, I have recently re-read it and, comparing it to the books of today, it is pretty much useless (I guess if you played a lot of pot-limit 5-card draw poker it would be okay). I doubt that Andy Bloch himself would think it was that great if he re-read it.

I would sell it in 2 seconds for $40 if not for the hole it would leave in my extensive poker-book collection (I have nearly 150 poker books). It is not worth $4, let-alone $40.