Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2007, 04:07 AM

Default Re: Can a Christian play poker?

This is the life we chose, the life we lead. There is only one guarantee: none of us will see heaven.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are a Baptist you have all your bases covered. DO ANYTHING!!!! You were written down in the book of life way before you were conscious. Nothing you do can ever change

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol,,

On teh side

when i saw the title i first thought that the question was more like: Can christians can play poker in the way like are they capable of playing g00t poker.

I think that's another good question bc/ being religious and thinking in a good way about poker, don't really go with eachother i think. I mean, i think the skills required for poker look a bit like the skill you miss when you become religious.

No offense lol.

I didn't read the whole thread so sorry if this is said long ago.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Frankly, I'm trying to see where the inconsistencies lie. By putting something into your body which is 1) illegal 2) horrible for you, healthwise 3) puts you under control of another substance and 4) ruins your life and family, then you are in total violation of biblical principle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me take a shot at it then.

Neurologists have found, through brain imaging, that a range of activities that produce compulsive behaviour -- activities like sex, overeating, gambling, etc. all act on the same areas of the brain, and act in precisely the same way that drugs do -- by hijacking the brain's pleasure/reward systems. The reason that addictions are so powerful is that they take a system that is fundamental to our survival, the urge to reproduce, and subvert it, thereby locking the addict into a loop of compulsive behaviour that is extremely difficult to escape from -- and of course, some people never manage it.

And so just as not all people who use drugs suffer from negative health consequences or addiction, and not all people who gamble become compulsive gamblers, whether you want to acknowledge the fact or not, the two areas of activity *are* functionally analogous from a behavioural, neurochemical and moral perspective.

[ QUOTE ]

There is no gray area there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Counsellors have a term for that kind of rationalizing explanation. They call it 'denial'.

[ QUOTE ]

With things such as gambling, I find it quite possible to do it in moderation w/o violating principle.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are no biblical edicts against the selling or using of heroin. I know plenty of people who use heroin in moderation. Therefore, it's perfectly in keeping with Christian tenets to make a living selling heroin?

[ QUOTE ]

NOW, if a Christian wanted to make the argument with me that since gambling ruins people, and that any money I win, by definition is money someone else loses, and that by doing so my gambling is contributing to an entity that destroys lives and families, well...that's a good point, and one which I already made. I would respect your position on that.

[/ QUOTE ]

But you feel that you somehow get a free pass for this unChristian behaviour, while the heroin dealer shouldn't?

How come?
Old 04-06-2007, 08:59 AM

Christians do a great many things they aren't supposed to, then repent on Sunday. I suppose this is why Brunson and Chip Reese are such stalwart Christians and yet are also on top of the heap as all-time winningest players in the poker world.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
W.W.J.D.?

[/ QUOTE ]

reraise all-in.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:04 AM

Of course! Here's a pic:

http://www.pokerpages.com/players/pr...-grundtvig.htm
Old 04-15-2007, 09:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
jesus christ this post [censored] sucks now, can we move it to SMP already?

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.. ban plz for anyone engaged in any kind of serious discussion in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-22-2007, 09:39 PM

i think if you know your limits and don't become addicted its ok
Old 04-22-2007, 10:02 PM

lame post , f
Old 04-23-2007, 04:01 PM

Great thread. When I get bored playing I like to spice things up sometimes by typing GOD BE PRAISED and getting all preachy when I take down pots. 'OUR RIGHTEOUS LORD HAS SEEN FIT TO BESTOW THIS POT UPON ME' etc. Gets the other players riled up and is quite ammusing.