Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 10-15-2007, 01:12 AM

Default Re: country bumpkins vs. city slickers

Free parking lots in front of every store in ruralish areas are nice. So are drive-thru fast-food restaurants, but those are about the only two advantages I can think of.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:19 AM

Medium-sized city far from either coast is obv the way to go here. There are still plenty of convenience stores and restaurants and sporting events and asian massage parlors, but the cost of living isn't ridiculous and the traffic is bearable too.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1. barbers. i get pretty basic haircuts and the barbers in the hood are great. i get a lot more attention to detail for my twelve bucks than i would at some place in a strip mall. if you are the salon-going type disregard this i guess, but for those of us who don't carry man-purses, going to barbershops where you are the only white person in the room is generally +EV, especially for beard trimming.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can definitely get this quality of service in small town America. Lots of small town barbers will give you a solid haircut, a shave w/ a straight razor and warm foam, and all for $10. Then they'll look at you funny if you give them a tip.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:32 AM

wookie, i guess my experience has just been a little different. i have found a few good barbers over the years, but for my particular preferences i have never gotten a better cut than i do from basically any random barber above 110th in NYC. the real difference is in the facial hair trimming. i just wear a fairly standard beard - not too long or short or styled in a really douchey way. when i lived in MA, the barbers i went to always just trimmed it w/ scissors or an electric and then MAYBE edged it up if you asked them to. here it is assumed that you will get it shaped up, trimmed with the instrument of your preference, and then edged up with a straight blade, which really makes a difference. i guess it's just a question of style and preference.

in general i get much better service in most establishments in a small town. but in this case i prefer the treatment of barbers in the city, even though a lot of them don't even understand english, and my spanish is mediocre.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
it'd be a lot easier to list the things about rural regions thats better.

plenty of livestock to sex

inbred populations means if you can blink you are an 8+

more churches than restaurants, gas stations and grocery stores combined.

you can say the N word all you want without getting knocked out.

women were all molested by uncles and have emotional issues so they are very easy to score with.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's truly amazing that you still have an active account under this alias.

Ironic that you want to play the molestation angle.

J
Old 10-15-2007, 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Medium-sized city far from either coast is obv the way to go here. There are still plenty of convenience stores and restaurants and sporting events and asian massage parlors, but the cost of living isn't ridiculous and the traffic is bearable too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I definitely disagree with this. In my experience medium-sized cities have lots of the drawbacks of bigger cities--pollution, traffic, beggars, etc.--with a sort of diluted version of the positives--decent but not great restaurant selection, public transportation, etc.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:45 AM

yeah what are some of these 'medium sized cities' that people are advocating? i think most of the desirable small cities are either college towns or some weird resort towns like asheville NC or the berkshires. when i think of medium-sized cities not in either of these categories, all that comes to mind is places like winston-salem or lubbock or something.

college towns and resort / vacation areas are likely to have more arts and culture type stuff due to the demographic, and they are small enough that you can go out a mile or two and find affordable housing. good luck with that in a major city.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I definitely disagree with this. In my experience medium-sized cities have lots of the drawbacks of bigger cities--pollution, traffic, beggars, etc.--with a sort of diluted version of the positives--decent but not great restaurant selection, public transportation, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, on second thought, "medium-sized" may not have been exactly what I meant. I'm not talking a city of like 50,000 because those pretty much all suck afaik. But most cities of around 500,000 have plenty of good restaurants that aren't Applebee's or Friday's or whatever.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:47 AM

Travel upstate sometime, you'll see what Noah's talking about, but with lake effect snow to boot!
Old 10-15-2007, 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you can pretty much bet there's a place or two on your block in NYC that will wash and fold your laundry for not much more than it would cost to do it yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Damn, it's like 4 or 5 times the cost here in Atlanta.