Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2007, 12:49 PM

Default Re: Audible.com books on tape

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Psychologists and education experts have shown that people's comprehension *vastly* improves by reading information as opposed to listening to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is definitely true of most people but not everyone learns best by reading as opposed to listening. I learn way better by hearing a lecture than I do reading. also, I will often forget what someone looks like but recognize them by the sound of their voice rather than their face.

[/ QUOTE ]

same.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:49 PM

I've had audible for a couple of years now. And I also read a ton. My experience has been that I can't listen to textbook-type things on tape, but that novels are fine. Great for when working out or driving or doing mindless work -- if you don't spend much time doing this, I wouldn't bother with it.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My experience has been that I can't listen to textbook-type things on tape, but that novels are fine.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've only used books-on-tape for entertaining novels on long trips. (And I mean the actual "Books On Tape" company. Anybody else remember the instructions on 'smacking the tape smartly against the dashboard'?)

On the other hand, my father uses Audible CONSTANTLY. He reads hard books, too. Lots of physics non-fiction. I'm surprised he can do it, but otherwise he'd have a long commute w/ nothing but NPR.
-Sam
Old 04-17-2007, 11:59 AM

Rob,

I've been using audible for a few months now and I like it. I still read normal books as well, but it allows me to get through more books than I did before.

I would just try a few books and see which ones are good for you. There is a tendency to lose focus on the audio, but I have gotten better at it over time. You just should pay attention to those situations in which you are able to focus and those in which you are not and to the types of books that you can focus on.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wont ever do a long drive down the highway or commute again without a book on tape

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-18-2007, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I wont ever do a long drive down the highway or commute again without a book on tape

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cracker Barrel restaurants rent a wide selection of best sellers. You can rent it at one location and turn it in at any other location during your trip. I can’t remember the cost but I think it works out to maybe 3 or 4 bucks a week and they prorate the rental.

Great deal IMO and I read/heard a lot of books I would have never gotten around to otherwise.

GS
Old 04-18-2007, 01:26 PM

I don't think I could pay enough attention to a book on tape, but I love the teaching company's Lectures on Tape. I don't like them for topics I've worked a lot with on my own, but they are awesome as an introduction to stuff I don't know anything about. Can be pricy, though, and I'd probably only buy them on sale. Sales occur all the time.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:25 PM

Around 700 B.C. a new technology was emerging and the older generation did not like it at all:

"It will ruin the brain, " they said.

"Memory will go to rot," they said.

A blind bard with neither the ability to read or write had composed in his head two novel length works of amazing complexity of form and content. So great was the acheivement that later poets turned to other genres: they did not think they could compete with his epics. Folks listened to the work and memorized it, word for word.

These same folks screamed foul when this new technology emerged: "it will ruin the brain;" "memory will go to rot;" "no one will hear the beauty of the words," they cried.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:26 PM

Phil Gordon's Little Green Book: Lessons and Teachings in No Limit Texas Hold'em. Is the only book on tape, actually CD I've purchased. I listened to it like 15 times while driving. Recommended +++
Old 04-20-2007, 01:43 PM

I love audible. I've listened to TONS of books. It is excellent in the car. I like to use it when I am lifting weights (for some reason I don't like it if I am running). If I get really into a book, I'll end up laying around the house finishing it.

I can't really surf the web or play poker while I listen, I don't comprehend what is being said.

If I am listening intently, I would say my comprehension is only slightly worse than if I were reading the book myself. More technical books are a little more difficult.

Best part: I can listen while doing mundane stuff that is normally very boring. Increased productivity!

Bottom line: its worth checking out at least.