Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 09:42 AM

Default Introducing new ideas to your game without losing money first.

I was wandering if anyone has any ideas about how to adjust your own game to any new complex theories you come across.

For example, I have been running reasonably well. However after reading the REM section in PNLH (Flynn, Metha and Miller) I have found in the last few sessions I have played that I am a bit overwhelmed trying to use this new information. As well as trying to factor in all the previous things I used: pot odds/if I thought I was ahead/type of player. I then try to think of their hand ranges/number of outs/percentage of equity for a particular opponents hand - and I frequently find I am making wrong decisions because I do not have the right amount of time to think it through. I definitely think this theory will help me, although I don't want to spend the next month losing to find out.

To cut a long story short; does anyone have a method for introducing new parts to their game if it takes time to master and cannot be used immediately?
Old 09-11-2007, 02:28 PM

Default Re: Introducing new ideas to your game without losing money first.

I surely don't. I really do not think there is anyway around it. Its happened to me several times and still happens. The best advice I can give you that really helped me reduce my losses and "perfect" the new theories/information was to drop down a few limits. Give yourself a 60-80 BI cushion instead of the standard 20-30 BI roll (when applying new ideas).
Old 09-11-2007, 06:02 PM

I introduce a single idea and work with it for a while before I introduce a second idea. When you read a book like that one, you need to pull out one idea that struck you and bring it to the table. Then when you get comfortable with that, go back to book.

Alternately, if you are playing online, you can have a cheatsheet with you with some ideas on it so and you can refer to it instantly.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I introduce a single idea and work with it for a while before I introduce a second idea. When you read a book like that one, you need to pull out one idea that struck you and bring it to the table. Then when you get comfortable with that, go back to book.

Alternately, if you are playing online, you can have a cheatsheet with you with some ideas on it so and you can refer to it instantly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll expand on that - when I was working really hard on building my game, I would only take a book chapter by chapter.

If you are playing many-tables online - this is probably the most you can absorb. You're trying to drill for instant recognition of situations.

If (like me) you play primarily live - I do my work between hands. I'm prone to pretending that I am in the hand with some medium hand like AK and thinking about how I'd react to the various bets/cards that come out.

When I'm in the hand, I don't want to have to think about theory and then such - I want to be watching my opponent(s) and just reacting to them, letting my instincts tell me the book play, the math, etc.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:35 PM

Thankyou for your suggestions.

I think you may be right in saying it is best to introduce one idea at a time to my game rather than trying to do it all at once.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thankyou for your suggestions.

I think you may be right in saying it is best to introduce one idea at a time to my game rather than trying to do it all at once.

[/ QUOTE ]

It takes awhile before you can finally apply all the concepts at once. Adding one idea at a time makes more sense then trying to do everything at once.

-Jerry
Old 09-12-2007, 10:02 PM

Just drastically drop down levels. Though the game is tactically different, the concepts will still apply homogeneously, and you can try them out without losing much.