Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2007, 01:56 PM

Default UFC 76 - KNOCKOUT!!!

Who's getting this? I thought this card was pretty lame when I first saw it. Nobody I really feel strongly about. I am liking it a bit more, but still not that excited. Nonetheless, I will get it. I have a somewhat deep seeded attachment to UFC which I will eventually abandon, but as of now I am karmically bound to get this fight.

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=even...rd&eid=822

So Ice Man vs the Dean of Mean Keith Jardine, lol great name. A lot of UFC fighters seem to age pretty well, better than boxers. But many a figher has lost it all of a sudden. Chuck is old and Keith is young and strong. Chuck can KO a mule.

Shogun vs Forest. Shogun from Pride, I am supposed to act like I know here, but I'm just a fan. From the previews, evidently Shogun is world class. Forest is of course a tough guy and a banger.

Diego Dirty Sanchez vs Fitch. So this could be the fight of the night. See if Nightmare Sanchez (I like my nickname better) can rebound. Supposedly had staff infection vs Kos, sounds nasty. I thought he was too scared to risk going to the ground vs. Kos, but Sanchez on the ground is a trip to watch, I think he could have overcome Kos wrestling, but maybe he felt too weak. Fitch is quietly 6-0 and they say he's the real deal.
Old 09-22-2007, 01:59 PM

Default Re: UFC 76 - KNOCKOUT!!!

shogun is going to absolutely manhandle griffin. i like griffin but he is going to get punked here.

i hate sanchez and i hope he gets pummeled
Old 09-22-2007, 02:04 PM

One of the biggest problems I have with mma is the way that matchups are set. After getting knocked out by Houston Alexander, Jardine should move down a step for his next fight. There is no way that he should be fighting someone the calliber of Liddell.

Of course, Jardine probably shouldn't have been fighting Alexander in the first place, so if they had gotten that match-up right, they wouldn't have this problem.

I wish there was a straigh ladder formula to determine match-ups. I will not be ordering tonights show. The card does not look worth $40 to me.

From a buisness perspective, they should have put this on free TV, and put the champion vs. champion on PPV. Then I would have watched both of them.
Old 09-22-2007, 02:13 PM

it'll be nice to see shogun i guess, but the only fight i'm anticipating is sanchez/fitch
Old 09-22-2007, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From a buisness perspective, they should have put this on free TV, and put the champion vs. champion on PPV. Then I would have watched both of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually htought putting 75 on free tv was brilliant. They have growing sport that everyone's starting to talk about, then put their biggest card in a while on free display for the world to see. i have to think it made a lot of new fans. Tonight's card wouldn't have. Dana thinking longer term than this month's payday.
Old 09-22-2007, 02:17 PM

I probably shouldn't get this damn fight either. I think they have been pretty good with the free stuff like you say, and TUF is my favorite show, but no way is this worth $40.

Re: Liddell, after loss, they could just want to protect him for future $$$ while at the same time bank on his name in this one.
Old 09-22-2007, 02:19 PM

Wow, are you guys nuts? The main event might be a little weak, but this one of the best cards from top to bottom all summer.

Sanchez/Fitch and Griffin/Tavares, on paper, are fight of the year candidates. Nakamura and Machida is also a high profile matchup. Then you have an easy top 3 pound-for-pounder making his debut in the UFC. Sure, Chuck's fighting a can in Jardine, but we can hope that after he wins, Dana brings Wandy back into the Octagon for a staredown and announce Wandy/Chuck for December.

I'm more excited about this card than I was for 74 or 75, and I was pretty pumped for both of those.
Old 09-22-2007, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, are you guys nuts? The main event might be a little weak, but this one of the best cards from top to bottom all summer.

Sanchez/Fitch and Griffin/Tavares, on paper, are fight of the year candidates. Nakamura and Machida is also a high profile matchup. Then you have an easy top 3 pound-for-pounder making his debut in the UFC. Sure, Chuck's fighting a can in Jardine, but we can hope that after he wins, Dana brings Wandy back into the Octagon for a staredown and announce Wandy/Chuck for December.

I'm more excited about this card than I was for 74 or 75, and I was pretty pumped for both of those.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that good to hear and I am looking forward to the fight more now. The other fighters you mention, I have seen maybe on other shows, but don't really know them. The UFC did a great job hooking me on this stuff from TUF season one, I feel like I know those guys like out of some soap opera.

Yeah, I am feeling a Wandy/Chuck, those guys are great fighters, might not be the best at this point, but nobody looks as friggin crazy as those two. Fedor! I actually think about this at night when I'm in bed how awesome its going to be. I want Fedor the mad Russian in the cage.
Old 09-22-2007, 04:07 PM

looks like a fun card. main event is crap but at least there will be a quick knockout.

im a big shogun fan and am kind of worried about the griffin fight. if griffin fights the same way he did against ramirez i can see him squeezing out a really boring decision

i like diego in his fight a lot more than most ppl seem to

is tavarez/griffin a prelim? that fight's going to be awesome
Old 09-22-2007, 04:11 PM

How long do these ppv cards normally take? Watched 75 but don't know if that's really a decent indication, don't want to stay up until 3am for the start unless it'll take a while (assuming I can find it on sopcast)