Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2007, 04:11 AM

Default Re: ***Official 2007 SAN DIEGO CHARGERS THREAD ***

Tough win. Chargers' offensive play-calling didn't look too hot to me: too many runs into eight-man fronts and not enough passes to the wide outs. Both offenses averaged <4 yards/play. Dominating defense from both teams.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:53 AM

The problem I have with the Chargers this year, and its what am hearing from you guys as well, is leadership. Right now, its LT's team. He's a great player and a great guy, but he's a running back.

Look at the Colts, clearly that's Manning's team. The Pats, Coach and QB are like one mind, unquestioned leadership on that team. Some teams have gone all the way with not great QB leadership, but they had dominating defenses, like Ravens and Bucs, or 84 Bears. Even then, the Ravens were led by Lewis and the Bucs had Gruden, the Bears, Ditka.

Rivers is still just a good young QB with a lot of potential. Manning wasn't the Manning that we see today in his 2nd year at the helm, Rivers is a coach's son, he knows the game, the players respect him, so I can see him becoming a great leader, but right now he probably is a few years away.

Norv Turner is just a glorified coordinator, he has nothing to do with the defense. I don't see how half a coach, especially a quiet guy, can be a great leader. I think Merriman sees the leadership void and rather than step up and be another focus on the team, he decided to keep a lower profile. I think that's good, Chargers don't need another pseudo leader.

Maybe I am making too much of this leadership stuff, its football, Gates is tall and fast, throw it to him, when Jamal hits you, who cares who the leader is, you are going down. Maybe LT is that good. If any team has the overall talent to overcome a leadership void at the traditional and seemingly critical positions of head coach and QB, its the Chargers. Of course...we shall see.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I am making too much of this leadership stuff, its football, Gates is tall and fast, throw it to him, when Jamal hits you, who cares who the leader is, you are going down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think leadership in NFL is overrated, but by how much it's tough to say. Oftentimes, the talking heads(who I strenuously avoid) blame poor leadership when poor talent or bad luck is the real problem.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
enjoy Norv.

sincerely,
A Redskins Fan

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, Norv was just awful when he was in DC. I think the Chargers will regret hiring him in just a few weeks.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:55 PM

Bolts Brief Week 2

This should be a fun game, but as LT points out, its just 2 out of 16. I can't ever figure out what the Pats are going to do, but one would think its gonna include going deep quite a bit. LT puts up some big numbers against Pats. I think Rivers has a good game.

Go over.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:54 PM

i think brady is going to have a big, big game guys, good luck though, it should be fun.

you send too much pressure and he is going to be hitting welker and maroney all day. give him time and... well get used to seeing '81' through a cloud of dust
Old 09-15-2007, 10:38 PM

LT is so good Im impressed with his ability to stay in the game even when he isn't getting a lot on the ground
Old 09-15-2007, 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think brady is going to have a big, big game guys, good luck though, it should be fun.

you send too much pressure and he is going to be hitting welker and maroney all day. give him time and... well get used to seeing '81' through a cloud of dust

[/ QUOTE ]

merriman will knock him out of the game [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-17-2007, 03:48 PM

Did the game go over? I didn't check the over/under line or see the final five minutes. I know one team scored a lot of points.
[img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

A team only has a limited amount of MOJO. You can't burn out your Mojo in game two. Last year, the Chargers came out of the gates all roided up and by the time the playoff rolled around, they had no Mojo. This is all measurable and very scientific.

LT all week was, this is just a game, its not the playoffs, its game two. You think you know more about football than LT? So I'm right on the money here as always. The Pats had to burn out their Mojo big time because of the spy gate. Too bad, I like the Pats, I respect the Pats, but they really have no chance come playoff time.

The more I learn about Rivers the more I respect him as a man, and the more I see of Rivers the more I doubt his flingy arm. Get it together choir boy.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:25 PM

Yesterday's game was painful to watch. Rivers is killing us this season. 3 interceptions, 3 fumbles and 6 sacks in two games.

We need to open up the passing game as well. The WRs have caught only 10 passes so far this year.