Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2007, 03:41 AM

Default Re: \"Bit sleazy in the Big Easy\"

[ QUOTE ]

So he apologizes for something that he did in the past (don't know when he started lighting into hollywood), asks for forgiveness, and admits he acted inappropriately and that's apparently not good enough for you. Also I'm sure you'd be fine with it if he was on the left because [sarcasm]we know that liberals are never hypocrites.[/sarcasm]

[/ QUOTE ]

If he apologizes for lying to his constituents in 2004, I will consider forgiving him. I understand that sexual desire is impossible to control in a lot of people. I understand the need to lie about it. However, immoral sexual behavior and lying are wrong, so he needs to apologize for both.

http://www.politicsla.com/columns/Ti...side_track.htm

"Vitter responded, "I think you know that that alligation is abosultely and completely untrue...I have said that on numerous occassions...I'll say that in any forum...Unfortuanately, that's just crass Louisiana politics, now that I am running for the Senate. I have made that clear that it is alll completely untrue...And, it's obviously politically motivated." "

The hypocrisy of being a defender of "traditional values", which, lets be honest here, is just demonizing gays for the most part, really make this pretty bad.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If he apologizes for lying to his constituents in 2004, I will consider forgiving him. I understand that sexual desire is impossible to control in a lot of people. I understand the need to lie about it. However, immoral sexual behavior and lying are wrong, so he needs to apologize for both.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll skip the obvious question on what constitutes immoral sexual behavior because I'm fairly certain that you don't want to take the position that sex with a prostitute is immoral. Also fairly certain that you don't want to take the position that extra marital sex is necessarily immoral. Marriages vary and what he should and shouldn't apologize to his family for is his private concern. Whether or not his family forgives him is their private matter.

As far as lying to his constituents and apologizing, they get to vote so if he hasn't made it right with them he'll know soon enough.

[ QUOTE ]

http://www.politicsla.com/columns/Ti...side_track.htm

"Vitter responded, "I think you know that that alligation is abosultely and completely untrue...I have said that on numerous occassions...I'll say that in any forum...Unfortuanately, that's just crass Louisiana politics, now that I am running for the Senate. I have made that clear that it is alll completely untrue...And, it's obviously politically motivated." "

The hypocrisy of being a defender of "traditional values", which, lets be honest here, is just demonizing gays for the most part, really make this pretty bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't interpret this statement as being anti gay. I never claimed that he wasn't being a hypocrite. Just pointing out that being a hypocrit isn't solely in the realm of bible thumping coservatives.

Out of curiosity, have you ever been a hypocrit? I'll make a revealing confession, I have been hypocrit before.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:50 PM

Regarding sex, I consider the type of behavior in question "immoral" in that it inevitably increases one's desire, one's misery. I am on a pretty traditional Buddhist path. I am aware that his behavior isn't considered "wrong" for a lot of people, and my sense is that liberals in general are probably more apt to see things this way than conservatives, but not this liberal.

I agree the voters can vote him out, but he lied before he got elected so he was elected under somewhat false pretenses, but I doubt he's the first politician who has accomplished this!

The gay issue has been used repeatedly by Rove and other conservatives as a wedge issue for political gain. I have been a hypocrit, you have, we all have of course, its perhaps a matter of degree. Since I forgave Clinton, I will forgive this guy, but Clinton never made other people's moral behavior an issue as this guy no doubt did as its SOP for conservatives, and that's a fact in my book. From gambling to peoples bedrooms, they stick their nose where it doesn't belong, they can at least practice what they preach.
Old 07-14-2007, 03:36 PM

Another Senator cheating on his wife. He even admits it on the Senate floor. Senator Bill Nelson of Florida apparently had great sex while in the military. Listen to him explain:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKGYLB-vXoQ
Old 07-14-2007, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Check out the Tony Snow video also, see who is more sleazy, its a tough call. Those Iraqi benchmarks he says will be a mix-bag...not really, reports confirm that not a damn one has been met.

[/ QUOTE ]

BS Alert. Either you didn't read the report or choose to misrepresent the purpose and content of the report.

The purpose is NOT to determine whether benchmarks have been met, it is to assess whether SATISFACTORY PROGRESS has been made toward meeting them.

If you truthfully represent the purpose of the report then the content is exactly as described...a mixed bag. 9 of the benchmarks show satisfactory progress, 9 dont.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Check out the Tony Snow video also, see who is more sleazy, its a tough call. Those Iraqi benchmarks he says will be a mix-bag...not really, reports confirm that not a damn one has been met.

[/ QUOTE ]

BS Alert. Either you didn't read the report or choose to misrepresent the purpose and content of the report.

The purpose is NOT to determine whether benchmarks have been met, it is to assess whether SATISFACTORY PROGRESS has been made toward meeting them.

If you truthfully represent the purpose of the report then the content is exactly as described...a mixed bag. 9 of the benchmarks show satisfactory progress, 9 dont.

[/ QUOTE ]

hhhhhhhhhhijack This was actually a good thread up to this point I wanna hear more about this.

I don't see how anyone can call sex immoral. If that's true then the entire human race is built on immorality.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:34 AM

My post was made prior to the release of the official report. I was going by media reports in anticipation of the report. I admit I get a lot of my news from liberal sources on the web. I'm an interested in hearing your thoughts on this critique of the 9 out of 18 in actual report -

http://www.slate.com/id/2170303/
Old 07-15-2007, 05:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hhhhhhhhhhijack This was actually a good thread up to this point I wanna hear more about this.

I don't see how anyone can call sex immoral. If that's true then the entire human race is built on immorality.

[/ QUOTE ]

My comment on sexual morality dealt with a married man regularly having sex with prostitutes. Clearly this is hurtful for his wife. I also think that road leads to harm for the dude. I don't really want to get into it here though.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:59 PM

Your not saying that that specific statement is anti-gay but claiming that when GOP politicians state they're supporting "traditional values" they're using code words for demonizing gays. Not sure that's true but maybe. There are Democrats who claim they support "traditional values" too but nobody is labling them as demonizing gays. Is it your believe that those who oppose gay marriage are homophobic? My impression is that many on the left label those who don't completely support their agenda for "gay rights" as being bigoted and homophobic.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My post was made prior to the release of the official report. I was going by media reports in anticipation of the report. I admit I get a lot of my news from liberal sources on the web. I'm an interested in hearing your thoughts on this critique of the 9 out of 18 in actual report -

http://www.slate.com/id/2170303/

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it worth the effort? I certainly dont know as much as the authors of the report, nor enough to judge whether the benchmarks are satisfactory or not....and neither does Slate.

My spin on Slates spin of the author's spin? Sounds too much like the Mevlevis [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]