Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2007, 04:05 PM

Default Re: San Diego Padres Post Season Thread

No man, 1998. Braves were 1999. Also, I think the Yankees were really, REALLY good that year, maybe their best team during their run so the Padres were uh, a little outmatched.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:09 PM

lol at this thread and challenger...wasn't this the same kid that said glavine wasn't a lock for the HOF??
Old 10-02-2007, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No man, 1998. Braves were 1999. Also, I think the Yankees were really, REALLY good that year, maybe their best team during their run so the Padres were uh, a little outmatched.

[/ QUOTE ]

ah, 1998, right.

that Yankee team probably was one of their best, too, I agree. back when Chuck Knoblauch was a household name. the surly queerball Paul O'Neill patrolled right field.

i couldn't stand those [censored].
Old 10-02-2007, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
We're getting off track here guys. Let's get back to talking about the Padres' Post Season.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thread title doesn't have a year.

Ahhhh, 2005. What a good year when they got swept in the NLDS.

[/ QUOTE ]

That pitch from Langston in 1998 Game 1 was strike 3. Seriously, it was, and Yankee dude stayed alive and homered and it probably cost them the game, Hoffman was a bit more reliable in those days. I remember saying to my friends, lol Langstonaments. They just kinda looked at me. But Cammy's drugs had long since worn off and once Yankees beat ace Kevin Brown in game one, Pads were done in by one of the best teams in history.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:20 PM

Yeah, that was back when Kevin Brown was probably the best pitcher in the NL, not the tool who got rocked in game 7 of the 2004 ALCS by the Red Sox. But I think aside from him and maybe Tony Gwynn they were pretty undermanned.

I remember these years because 1999 was the year that The Gambler walked Andruw Jones to force in the winning run for the Braves, who then got pozzed by the Yankees, and then 2000 was the Mets turn to get pozzed by the Yankees, and then 2001 was the year that the Yankees' glorious title run came crashing down in the final frame of game 7 by virtue of a hard single, a throwing error, a bad bunt, a broken bat bloop double, a hit batter, and a bloop single while Jeter jumped in the air but unfortunately for him he's not 20 feet tall so it went over his head and they haven't won since.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But I think aside from him and maybe Tony Gwynn they were pretty undermanned.

[/ QUOTE ]

they were certainly undermanned that year compared to that Yankee juggernaut.

edit: wtf, I somehow missed the part in your post where you mentioned their ace was Kevin Brown.

[ QUOTE ]
I remember these years because 1999 was the year that The Gambler walked Andruw Jones to force in the winning run for the Braves, who then got pozzed by the Yankees

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, that was the WS where Jim Leyritz hit a grand slam every game or something.