Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2007, 05:29 PM

Default Re: \"Bit sleazy in the Big Easy\"

[ QUOTE ]
My comment on sexual morality dealt with a married man regularly having sex with prostitutes. Clearly this is hurtful for his wife. I also think that road leads to harm for the dude. I don't really want to get into it here though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on whose morals. You're clearly making a moral judgement yet you criticize right wing supporters of "traditional values" for doing the same thing i.e. making a moral judgement about a private matter.

You wrote in a response to one of my posts:

[ QUOTE ]
Since I forgave Clinton, I will forgive this guy, but Clinton never made other people's moral behavior an issue as this guy no doubt did as its SOP for conservatives, and that's a fact in my book.

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all you're clearly making Vitter's moral behavior an issue and second of all never made morals an issue?
Old 07-16-2007, 06:09 PM

Default Re: \"Bit sleazy in the Big Easy\"

You said that you were sure I didn't "want to take the position that sex with a prostitute is immoral." I am not sure why you would say this, you don't know me and this belief is quite common in society, maybe since I am a poker player and a liberal you assumed that I thought it okay to cheat on your wife with hoes, but I don't and again you made this the issue. I told you that as a matter of fact, I do take that position. Some behavior hurts others and IMO hurts one's spiritual growth, I call this behavior immoral, and as I explained Vitter's sexual behavior is immoral in my book. But that was just in response to your incorrect assumption about me personally.

The issue is bringing morality into play in a political campaign, assuming moral superiority, and then violating one's professed moral code. The issue isn't Vitter's immoral (IMO) behavior, everybody acts immorally at times, and with regard to sex, its really tough for almost everybody, including me. The issue is whether it is right to use your moral code to prop yourself up, to bring down your opponent, to rile up your base, and then go ahead and violate pretty much everything you stand for. I stated quite clearly that I forgave Clinton for his immorality (IMO), and I can forgive Vitter, but his use of morality as a political weapon and his hypocrisy makes it worse (IMO, [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])