Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2006, 12:07 PM

Default Re: If you were from a different galaxy.....

[ QUOTE ]

How would you frame your analysis of them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Since becoming fully exposed to the teachings of all religions does not constitute an analysis the first thing I’d do is formulate a plan to effectively research all aspects of each religion that I wanted to include in the study. This of course would include selecting each religion to be studied and each selection would share the same specific sub categories for evaluation and comparison. In summary I’d define the specifics of the analysis.

[ QUOTE ]

Would you be able to come to what you would consider to be a logical conclusion?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well first I think we’d have determined what our question is right? We may or may not be able to arrive at a logical conclusion.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You have been living on Earth, icognito, for a long enough period of time to have become fully exposed to the teachings of all of the major & minor organized religions.

Would you be able to come to what you would consider to be a logical conclusion?

[/ QUOTE ]

In order to answer this question, should the respondents have been fully exposed to all the teachings of the major and minor organized religions?

Because I'm sorry, I can't answer, other than to say that I hope I would come to a logical conclusion.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
You're right.....I don't think you 'get it'; no offense intended.

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense taken, but I think you are making it up biased based on your beliefs and pre-conceptions.

[ QUOTE ]
The mindset (or lack of preconceived notions) of Gort is the key.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then he would be an atheist, "without" a belief, and find beliefs suspect.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gland you're not offended, and.......

Yes, you are correct...sort of, I think??

Doesn't an atheist believe that there is no possibility of there being a God?

If that is correct, Gort would not be an atheist, as for whatever reason, the idea of a God has never been a part of his society. You can't deny the existence of a God, if you have never conceptualized it.

To comment further on your last statement.....Yes, IMO all 'beliefs' should be suspect until proven or disproven.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Since becoming fully exposed to the teachings of all religions does not constitute an analysis the first thing I’d do is formulate a plan to effectively research all aspects of each religion that I wanted to include in the study. This of course would include selecting each religion to be studied and each selection would share the same specific sub categories for evaluation and comparison. In summary I’d define the specifics of the analysis.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well first I think we’d have determined what our question is right? We may or may not be able to arrive at a logical conclusion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bill,

Both good responses and agreed.

For the purpose of this discussion, what do YOU think our 'Question" should be?
Old 08-07-2006, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

In order to answer this question, should the respondents have been fully exposed to all the teachings of the major and minor organized religions?

Because I'm sorry, I can't answer, other than to say that I hope I would come to a logical conclusion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are more likely to be correct (in an absolute sense) than incorrect in your statement.

However, even considering that, I'm not sure that should stop us in our tracks.

It is true that I am making some quantum assumptive leaps here...for example, by characterizing Gort a a single being, and then translating that thought to our discussions puts us in the difficult position that you define above.

If only one of us was attempting this task, it's very likely that we would dead-end somewhere, based upon our inability to gather/absorb/process all the data.

It might not be an unrealistic task however, should a collective of people, with expertise in different religions were to attempt the same task.

I'm not sure....what do you think?

FWIW, if the above by me is gibberish....please chalk it up to me responding during my lunch break and not having as much time as I'd like to think about it.

[img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 08-07-2006, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well considering that most present day religions are based on ancient beliefs, manuscripts, rituals perhaps a beneficial goal would be to ascertain if new 21st century religion should or could be established.

Or

Which religions practiced today truly have positive influence on its members?

Sorry to say I might have to miss the next few days of this discussion as my plane departs in a few hours.

I'll catch up when I return
Old 08-07-2006, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well considering that most present day religions are based on ancient beliefs, manuscripts, rituals perhaps a beneficial goal would be to ascertain if new 21st century religion should or could be established.

Or

Which religions practiced today truly have positive influence on its members?

Sorry to say I might have to miss the next few days of this discussion as my plane departs in a few hours.

I'll catch up when I return

[/ QUOTE ]

Hope to keep it warm for you, Bill.

Have a good flight.

Myrt.....
Old 08-20-2006, 01:20 AM

Default This is dealt with in the book...

"The End of Faith" by Sam Harris. I loved that book and eagerly await his new one.

In the book he talks about if everybody in the world just forgot everything and what they would think of the bible and other books as they started relearning how to be and survive (and learning to read the books obviously as well). The bible and all other religious publications would fit nicely on the shelf next to Batman comics and children's stories.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:46 PM

Default Re: This is dealt with in the book...

[ QUOTE ]
"The End of Faith" by Sam Harris. I loved that book and eagerly await his new one.

In the book he talks about if everybody in the world just forgot everything and what they would think of the bible and other books as they started relearning how to be and survive (and learning to read the books obviously as well). The bible and all other religious publications would fit nicely on the shelf next to Batman comics and children's stories.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the recommendation....I'll check it out.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:06 PM

I'm sorry for replying to this so late, but whatever.
[ QUOTE ]

What you have stated is true, but everybody you know including your closest family or friends has a concept and an idea of who you are and it’s different than the concept that you have of yourself.
The perception or image that other people have of you, even people that see you and talk to you, is created by their mind. This perception is somewhat biased because it is derived with the consideration of how their perception of you will affect their own image of themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]
I know. And I'm neither the image others have of me nor the image I have of myself. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you but it seems like you have found a comfortable place to stop the perception process becasue if you can see it or hear it you can accept it as "Fact"
Nothing is a "Fact" unless you have decided that you don't wish to consider any more options or possibilities.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmm, I don't agree there. Personally, I like the idea that you can only recognize ignorance; not truth. If that makes any sense. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] It's not like I've relaxed into some belief system.