All-in 7 43.75%
Fold 8 50.00%
Call 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 09:22 AM

Default Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

[ QUOTE ]
Newteabag and I just got a fairly baller place place in Phuket. It's a 10-minute walk from Patong beach, but far enough away that we can't see or hear anything from where we are. At 35k baht/month, it's not a fantastic deal, but it's not bad for high-end Phuket real estate. I've been sick and nothing exciting has happened, but I'll update when it does.

[/ QUOTE ]

that looks like an a really nice place. i just did the conversion though and thought the real estate market was cheaper than that. works out to US$1002 on the website i plugged the numbers into.

im also curious what the mood is among the locals in phuket since the tsunami. how has the tsunami impacted the culture years later? im sure they are still grieving their losses and there are countless broken families. when youve been there long enough to understand some of this, id like to know more about this.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
that looks like an a really nice place. i just did the conversion though and thought the real estate market was cheaper than that. works out to US$1002 on the website i plugged the numbers into.

im also curious what the mood is among the locals in phuket since the tsunami. how has the tsunami impacted the culture years later? im sure they are still grieving their losses and there are countless broken families. when youve been there long enough to understand some of this, id like to know more about this.

[/ QUOTE ]
We could have gotten more bang for our baht elsewhere, but decided we'd be happier spending a few hundred more a month for a place we really liked. For example, we could have rented rooms at the hotel we stayed at when we first came to Phuket for 4500 baht/month (~$130). This would have included an air-conditioned room with queen-sized bed, fridge, TV, bathroom, and regular maid service. I would go crazy if my living quarters consisted of a single room, but some people would find this arrangement ideal. The place we're at now has the perfect location--in the middle of the jungle with three other units but a 2-minute scooter ride to civilization (and the beach!). We looked at some pretty ridic houses that were cheap but unfortunately far from everything else. Phuket is also a resort destination so everything's going to be more expensive than the mainland. Our lease is month-to-month so we can leave if we find a better deal somewhere.

Newteabag's Thai gf is staying with us and she has some local friends. The disaster is something I'm curious about so I'll try to ask them about it at some point. Supposedly water went several kilometers inland. We're high up on a hill so I'm not worried about a repeat.

For those who have spent time in Thailand:
Is 3,000 baht/month a good price for a motorbike? We're renting from a local.

I tried buying codeine cough syrup from a few pharmacies but they wouldn't help me. I was (and am) legitimately sick. Does anyone have a good way to go about this?
Old 03-22-2007, 09:03 AM

I haven't read any of the replies, but what's Thailand like?
Old 03-22-2007, 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't read any of the replies, but what's Thailand like?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahahahaha.
Old 03-25-2007, 03:30 AM

That place looks pretty sweet.

To the guy who said that is too expensive remember that Phuket is the richest and most expensive province in Thailand.

There are loads of places all over Thailand even more expensive than that. Loads cheaper as well.

WhoAmI,

how do you like patong? I've been to phuket three times and every time i have stayed in Patong and every time I have hated it. Don't get me wrong, I like what patong has to offer but just seemed really smoggy and dunno, too much concrete for an island paradise.

Full trip report on why you chose Patong/Phuket plz. How you like it, what you do when the sun is out and when its not etc
Old 03-25-2007, 04:42 AM

Hey guys, im looking for help in regards to a trip to Thailand. Was hoping to discuss some things with anyone who has a decent amount of experience.

Im looking to travel there at the end of this year with mates for around a month. We're all 18 and aren't strugling financially (i.e will be willing to spend a decent amount of money). For example to go to a nice place on the gold coast (australia) over christmas/news years for just one weeks accomadation cost us 6k for one week last new years. That is around 150k baht, that just gives you an example of how expensive it is here.

Enough with that, I notice WhoIam , you are paying 35k baht a month for that place. What is it like near where you are.
- Good night spots? clubs, pubs, bars etc
- Nice beach?
- Anything else making it particulary good....

I really just want to go to Thailand because of the cheap lifestyle you can live there. At this point in time i'd much rather do that than travel around Europe or something

---- If anyone wants to have a chat with me about Thailand please don't hesitate to PM me. I would love all the information i can get in regards to where to stay, what to look out for, what to do etc etc..
Old 03-25-2007, 05:22 AM

Newteabag's Thai gf is staying with us and she has some local friends

Good luck
Enjoy the ride...
Old 03-25-2007, 05:22 AM

is that a standard thai kitchen?
it looks very bad
Old 03-25-2007, 07:36 AM

WhoIam,

Mustard and Ketchup? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-25-2007, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
is that a standard thai kitchen?
it looks very bad

[/ QUOTE ]

yes. don't forget its the third world. appliances and bathrooms generally suck.

regarding 18 year old on the way to thailand.

READ THE THREAD

then come back w/ some more specific questions.
Closed Thread