Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2007, 05:36 PM

Default HU Stats v. 3 handed Stats

Struggling at making proper vpip/pfr adjustments...

This post is directed to anyone who plays a lot short-handed poker.

I suck at shorthanded, but I love to play it b/c, well, a crack addict likes to get high...

Anyways, I have slowly but surely started to develop a winning taggish strategy for HU, but I'm not sure how to properly adjust for 3 handed play.

If anyone has any thoughts regarding optimal vpip and pfr for HU or 3 handed, and how you adjust your ranges for each, please let me know.

My stats for HU

BB: 21/7 (Should the pfr here be higher?). Granted, BB defense is much more of a factor of my opponents button strategy, so looking at it in isolation is tough, but are there any general guidelines?

SB: 49/49 (Should I limp more, should I raise more on the button--if this is my opening range, what hands should i be defending to 3 bets to aggressive 3-bettors pre?)

My stats for 3-handed:

BTN: 40/40 (should this be higher, lower?)
BB: 18/8.5
SB: 33/27

Total stats 30/25

Anyone else have any thoughts for optimal vpip/pfr for 3 handed v. hu.

Please post your stats, your thoughts, and any comments on my stats.

I am specifically interested in how your vpip/pfr changes from HU to 3 handed...

thanks,
dlpnyc21
Old 04-10-2007, 06:46 PM

Default Re: HU Stats v. 3 handed Stats

I don't think stats matter that much in short-handed games. Play more hands if you think you can run him over and play less if you can't. Then again, if you can't run him over [or at least dictate the flow of the match], why are you playing him HUs? Except to learn of course.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think stats matter that much in short-handed games. Play more hands if you think you can run him over and play less if you can't. Then again, if you can't run him over [or at least dictate the flow of the match], why are you playing him HUs? Except to learn of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm looking more for general guidelines in terms of how a vpip/pfr should "adjust" generally when switching from 2-3 handed. Obviously, it depends on your opponents, but comparing overall stats, or any glaring things (like for example, I know most HU players open way more from the butotn that I do--approx 60+% vpip), that I'm missing, I'd like to hear the thoughts of other players who play short or hu.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:52 PM

I don't have any stats, but i think my button is higher and my sb/bb really depend on who i am playing 3 handed vs hu. I prefer 3 handed to hu. I think the edge an average player can gain 3 handed vs hu is significant.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:56 PM

dave,

It's a style thing, but I basically never ever ever limp from the button HU if it's 100+bb stacks. I know that a lot of high stakes players agree with this, though some definitely don't (durrr, raptor...)

I try to play very tight from the bb these days. Obviously against a poor player i will loosen up from the bb.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the edge an average player can gain 3 handed vs hu is significant.

[/ QUOTE ]
Uh, what? Are you saying that if you're better than an opponent you'd rather play him 3-handed than HU? I just don't get what this means at all. Sounds interesting though! Splain please!