Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2007, 08:35 PM

Default 25NL should I be in this pot?

I don't usually play hands like this but I'm trying to get a looser image as suggested in NLH Theory and Practice. So I'm raising more marginal hands and playing looser preflop and flop but only going further with a real hand. I know its just bad luck I lose this pot but should I have been in it in the first place?

Full Tilt Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (9 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

SB ($16.60)
BB ($15.45)
UTG ($46.50)
UTG+1 ($24.75)
MP1 ($21.25)
MP2 ($49.20)
MP3 ($36.20)
Hero ($22.75)
Button ($24.65)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP3 calls $0.25, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1.1</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $2.75</font>, MP3 folds, Hero calls $1.65.

Flop: ($5.85) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3.75</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $7.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $14</font>, BB calls $5.20 (All-In).

Turn: ($32.55) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: ($32.55) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $32.55
Old 08-17-2007, 08:42 PM

Default Re: 25NL should I be in this ptot?

Your raise is fine, though I'd make it $1.25...but whatever. I'd just fold to the 3-bet though. He raised not only you but the limper as well. Just let it go. Flop play is fine of course.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:48 PM

only reason I called the raise was I figured he had AA or KK or maybe AK. It cost me 1.65 to win 4.20. So I'm getting 2.5:1 and if I flop a straight or 2 pair I might stack him. I plan on folding if I don't hit the flop big
Old 08-17-2007, 08:56 PM

I suppose it depends a bit on BB's range, but I don't particularly like the preflop. I hate raising QJ but then you are in a good position so its not terrible. 3 bet calling makes me think I'm behind to start with. You can build a loose image by showing down with lowish suited connectors, showing weakish hands you took down the pot with cbetting etc, you don't need to get involved in a big pot to build it.

Saying that unless you've up against QQ/JJ which is a part of the villains range you're most likely ahead on the flop. I can see KK / AA raising trying to protect their hand here.

I hate min raises, as its basically saying "I'm not worried about trying to get you fold, just get more money into the pot." So I'm a bit worried about villains bet here.

You probably lost the pot, maybe to an A at the end etc but thats just being results orientated. Don't particularly like pre flop, maybe you shouldn't have been in the pot, but flop is ok. Wouldn't be surprised if he flipped over a set.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
only reason I called the raise was I figured he had AA or KK or maybe AK. It cost me 1.65 to win 4.20. So I'm getting 2.5:1 and if I flop a straight or 2 pair I might stack him. I plan on folding if I don't hit the flop big

[/ QUOTE ]

Only problem with that is you will flop those hands just about never so there's no way you have anywhere close to the odds if you're looking for to just flop a straight or two-pair. Not to mention the times when the flop comes Q73 and you end up calling another bet or two.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I suppose it depends a bit on BB's range, but I don't particularly like the preflop. I hate raising QJ but then you are in a good position so its not terrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's totally standard to raise that ridiculous open limp from MP3. This is going to be a very +EV play at NL25. It's just when the BB wakes up with a hand that I think it went wrong.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:08 PM

I raise this type of hand from C/O a lot, especially if limper folds to cbet a lot. Depending on BB raise stats, I usually fold this to the reraise. After that the play seems fine
Old 08-17-2007, 11:17 PM

standard but fold to BB's rr pre
Old 08-18-2007, 12:27 AM

Default Re: 25NL should I be in this pot?

If BB had a full stack then calling pf is fine but he doesn't, so it isn't.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Only problem with that is you will flop those hands just about never so there's no way you have anywhere close to the odds if you're looking for to just flop a straight or two-pair. Not to mention the times when the flop comes Q73 and you end up calling another bet or two.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well... that's part of the problem. The rest of the problem is, the reraiser is 60 BBL deep. With over 15% of the effective stack already in the pot, you're not going to win anywhere near as big a prize when you get the dream flop as with 100 BBL effective stacks -- and even then this play is probably wrong.

At least you've got position, but calling that reraiseis still very wrong. You need to play in a way more conscious of effective stack sizes to do well in NLHE.