Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2007, 06:33 PM

Default What is the skill level difference between 200nl vs 100nl?

I just recently switched from limit 10/20-15/30 over to 100nl. The problem I'm having are the mini raises to see the flop cheaply, etc. Which is very cheap compared to limit, and their blinds.

I can basically steal the blinds with a raise of 4-8. Which also means, when I have a legitimate hand like KK/AA, they all freaking fold.

Example, I have AA with the BB. 3 limps and the sb call to me. I mini raise to 5, and everyone freaking folds.

UTG I limp with KK. I get one limper, SB raises to 2, I raise it to 6, and everyone folds.

I'm not complaining, after 1300 hands, I'm making 28.87bb/100 which is great compared to limit. Its fairly a non aggressive level. But at these stakes, everyone is super tight, and folds like a house of cards to any aggression. And from a limit background, I'm just to putting in a couple of bets to defend my blind, etc etc.

If I move to 1/2. Does the skill level make a significant jump? I'm not use to losing $200 on a single hand decision.

I'm still trying to adjust from limit to no limit. Any more advise? Already read the stickies.

Thanks in advance
Old 06-22-2007, 06:36 PM

Default Re: What is the skill level difference between 200nl vs 100nl?

Its gets more aggresive, and there is an increase in the skill level of the regular players, but its not a huge jump.

Definately noticable though.

Where are you playing 100nl with the players that tight?

Also, I would reccomend staying at 100nl for awhile if you are new to NL.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:50 PM

you have sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

much to learn.

lesson #1: do not limp with KK. If you limp with KK do not mini raise a raise with it.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:52 PM

you're running at 14.5ptbb/100 - keep doing whatever you're doing
Old 06-22-2007, 06:56 PM

I'm playing at party. There's always like 80+ tables of 6max 100nl players waiting for me.

Again, I'm very green at the no limit style of play. lots of patience. People sitting their waiting to get a monster, and I'm just walking in their trap.

Happend to me a few times with my AQ getting killed by 22s. I'm also having problems recognizing their "huge" raises pf and post flop. They're probably representing a huge hand, but at this level, the "money" value I see it as 3bet, cap, etc from a limit perspective so that's a bit scary.

So far, its much more relaxing and easy going versus limit. I don't feel the need to contest every single pot or defend my blind like I do with limit.

I think i'm going to go postal if I manage to build my stack to $400, and I go all in with my AA and lose to a lesser pair... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] dreading the day that happens.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:13 PM

after reading both of your posts my best advice would be to moved down to 50nl and learn how to play no limit. srsly it sounds like you have pretty much no idea how to play this game. start reading and posting in ssnl and talking to anyone better than you about general strategy and specific hands.

my post is not meant to be discouraging or condescending in any way. but assuming that your comments are all serious you have a lot to learn before you should even consider 200nl.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my post is not meant to be discouraging or condescending in any way. but assuming that your comments are all serious you have a lot to learn before you should even consider 200nl.

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering the way you played those 2 hands I would drop down to NL50.

Never mini raise, and NEVER mini check raise.

The AA hand you did not raise enough and the KK you did not raise enough

AA you should have raise to $7-$8 and the KK hand $10 or so

The reason being you dont want to play AA OOP postflop in a multiway pot, you want 1 caller that's it since you are OOP and you dont want your KK hand to get crushed by 68s on a 862 flop when you are holding KK because you made a wussy raise preflop

You are givcing your oponents the proper odds to see the flop in the hands you posted and that is something you never ever want to do.

Also if you ever lose $400 BB with an overpair can you PM me your screenname?

I played 6 max for a living online for 3 years and I made the switch to Nl last year. I had trouble grasping a few concepts coming from a limit background, here is what I found most imortant:

Position is so mutch more important in NL then in Limit about 1000x more

Pot control is so very important

Overpairs are nowhere near as strong as they are in NL compared to Limit. Overpairs in NL or TPTK hands are mediocre hands and can get you into a lot of trouble if you can't play them properly.

If you get a premium hand preflop and it's raised before you you have to 3 bet it and 3 bet it strong. a 4x the BB raise should be raised to about $14 or so, anything less and you are giving players the proper odds to chase their sets and take your stack.

Don't checkraise as much as you did in Limit, you loose to much value.

Defending your blinds is not as important in NL, Don't get run over but don't defend as much as you did in limit
Old 06-23-2007, 12:07 AM

29 BB/100 just stealing everyting ...wtf u complaining about?