Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2007, 04:19 AM

Default Re: Hi

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ACers a request.

I have a request for those of you who frequently start threads showing examples of where you believe the state is over stepping its bounds, taking away freedom, driving out business, etc in an effort to demonstrate why you hold your political beliefs. these posts are perfectly acceptable and well within the realm of political discussion

however my request is that neilso or someone else could create one thread where you then post these examples from the news and have the general debate about the merits of Acism instead of creating a bunch of separate threads.

as the thread grows and becomes too burdensome just let me or another mod know, and you can create another.

thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored],

Perhaps I'm misinterpretting what you're saying here, but it sounds like you've just confined every post that ACists make to one thread. Are you saying that we should limit "nanny state updates" (posts consisting of just links saying where the state went wrong) to one thread, or any discussion critizing the state to one thread? The latter encompasses quite lot, and a lot of unique and interesting threads could be started on it.

I'm probably getting this wrong, but I'm just not sure what you're saying here.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think he meant the first one. Like Tomdemaine's orphanage thread. But maybe I'm wrong.
Old 03-10-2007, 04:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ACers a request.

I have a request for those of you who frequently start threads showing examples of where you believe the state is over stepping its bounds, taking away freedom, driving out business, etc in an effort to demonstrate why you hold your political beliefs. these posts are perfectly acceptable and well within the realm of political discussion

however my request is that neilso or someone else could create one thread where you then post these examples from the news and have the general debate about the merits of Acism instead of creating a bunch of separate threads.

as the thread grows and becomes too burdensome just let me or another mod know, and you can create another.

thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored],

Perhaps I'm misinterpretting what you're saying here, but it sounds like you've just confined every post that ACists make to one thread. Are you saying that we should limit "nanny state updates" (posts consisting of just links saying where the state went wrong) to one thread, or any discussion critizing the state to one thread? The latter encompasses quite lot, and a lot of unique and interesting threads could be started on it.

I'm probably getting this wrong, but I'm just not sure what you're saying here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would like clarification on this as well. I think it would be fine if an OP explicitly indicated in the subject of a thread Dem's only, or Dem's and Repub's, but to put the burden on one part of the political spectrum to police their responses, to squelch their own political views and not have this apply to others feels quite unfair.
Old 03-10-2007, 04:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but to put the burden on one part of the political spectrum to police their responses, to squelch their own political views and not have this apply to others feels quite unfair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody is being asked to squelch their political views. People are being asked to respect one another. If someone wants to start a thread about raising/cutting taxes it is reasonable to expect that the thread won't be overun with people that want to talk the government being immoral. When your posts contribute nothing to the topic at hand and serve only to cause others to leave they are no longer welcome.
Old 03-10-2007, 04:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but to put the burden on one part of the political spectrum to police their responses, to squelch their own political views and not have this apply to others feels quite unfair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody is being asked to squelch their political views. People are being asked to respect one another. If someone wants to start a thread about raising/cutting taxes it is reasonable to expect that the thread won't be overun with people that want to talk the government being immoral. When your posts contribute nothing to the topic at hand and serve only to cause others to leave they are no longer welcome.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it your belief/assertion that people can not vehemently disagree on fundamental issues and also respect the person they disagree with?

It would also be helpful if you could provide examples of how dems or repubs may wind up 'derailing threads' due to their fundamental political beliefs. thanks.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it your belief/assertion that people can not vehemently disagree on fundamental issues and also respect the person they disagree with?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am certain they can vehemently disagree on fundemental issues and still repsect the person. That is why I feel everyone will be able not try to shout down those that disagree with them. The shouting is going to stop now.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

RR-

If this is the case, I think it would make more sense if you and [censored] said that you were going to simply enforce that posts stay on topic, in the spirit of the OP. That's a good rule, no complaints there.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

RR-

If this is the case, I think it would make more sense if you and [censored] said that you were going to simply enforce that posts stay on topic, in the spirit of the OP. That's a good rule, no complaints there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will point him to this post. I do anticipate some of these things being discussed and clarified as it has been less than 12 hours since we were added.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's politics, discussions should be allowed to go wherever they are going.

[/ QUOTE ]

New regime, new rules. You can disabuse yourself of this idea.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:50 AM

Default Re: Political Beliefs

[ QUOTE ]
RR and Jman, could you briefly state your political beliefs.
This way I will know whether I can express my conservative poltical beliefs freely or not in the forum...If liberal, I can go into hibernation until the forum is safe for me to post again. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

PS
I should add that I like Ann Coulter and think she is funny and smart as hell.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like labels, I'm a unique butterfly. I guess I'd be closest to a Joe Lieberman type of democrat.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's politics, discussions should be allowed to go wherever they are going.

[/ QUOTE ]

New regime, new rules. You can disabuse yourself of this idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Discussions can go wherever they are going provided the place that they are going isn't:

-State Bad!
-State Good!
-State Bad!
-State Good!

Or:

Dems Bad!
Repubs Bad!
Dems Bad!
Repubs Bad!

Or:
-9/11 conspiracy!
-9/11 not conspiracy!