Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2006, 06:49 PM

Default Optimum Bubble Strategy?

I have read in a number of threads lately about owning the button and playing the button well. BUT, I have not found anything in terms of how to do that, or what gear to shift into around button time. So, I figured I would ask -

What is optimum bubble play?

How do you play hands / opponents differently around the button?

Any tricks or particular plays that you make that work better than others?

Is there a difference in bubble strat betwen STTs and MTTs.

THanks in advance!
Old 02-08-2006, 06:51 PM

Default Re: Optimum Bubble Strategy?

Big difference between STT and MTT:

STT: Play tight around Bubble to make it into money, then go for first.

MTT: Play loose and aggressive around Bubble, as the real money is only at FT.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:58 PM

I too am wondering what style some of you players who make more FTs than most of us incorporate around the bubble when you DON'T have the big stack.

-I think stealing blinds, and re-stealing is very advantageous at this time. I think this because a lot of players are just looking to make it ITM, whereas some of us want to FT and win. Many players will tighten up around the bubble, and I think this is disadvantageous play. A. The blinds are usually high B. There's a lot of value in stealing blinds C. If you have any FE you need to exploit it and steal from big stacks that are playing aggressive (as they should be) but they are raising with marginal holdings most of the times and will correctly fold to a push. Stay away from the short stacks who are looking to get their money in at any +EV situation, for doubling them up is a real no no. I think picking on the medium/passive stacks, and the over-aggro/big stacks is a better strategy for they don't want to call an all in, and give up their stack without a premium hand. How'd I do?
Old 02-08-2006, 07:02 PM

You did good.

I go crazy aggro around the Bubble, with or without a big stack. Usually this means I'm gonna go deep into the money or not at all.

Picking on the medium stacks works best. Shorties call out of desperation and big stacks call because they can (if you're a shortie). You want to put people to a decision when your stack is big enough to hurt them.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

STT: Play tight around Bubble to make it into money, then go for first.

[/ QUOTE ]

But get third instead because you let your weak tight self get shortstacked on the bubble and passed on many +EV pushes.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:13 PM

A bubble is a bubble right(?)
Old 02-08-2006, 07:25 PM

From playing in STTs, I have become so accustomed to pushing PF, that I sometimes make stupid overpushes trying to pick up the blinds and antes. Invariably, I get called by a thinking player with a semi-marginal hand who realizes that I went allin with trash and didn't want a call. Personally, I think that the best way to steal is to look like you want to get called. Throw in a standard raise of 3-5x the BB (mixing it up a bit). When the BB is large enough, most will fold unless they have a premium hand. If someone calls or raises, you can get away from the hand relatively cheaply if you need to. Also, although some may advise against this, I really like to throw in a small steal raise (3x BB) from UTG or UTG+1 every so often around the bubble. Most players will give you credit for a premium hand in this situation, and most of the time the table will fold around so quickly that you won't even have time to get nervous. And, don't steal too much, unless the table is super tight. You have to make it look convincing. Stay aware of your image while stealing.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not me to.

In an MTT, barely making the money isn't worth the time invested but the FT pays really well.

In an STT, making the money at all is a significant return on investment and on time spent.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not me to.

In an MTT, barely making the money isn't worth the time invested but the FT pays really well.

In an STT, making the money at all is a significant return on investment and on time spent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on your strike rate in SnG's i suppose, I still think you need to prioritise hitting 1st place. MTT's your strike rate can be way, way lower to show a monster profit.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:50 PM

I don't get too excited when I get third in a STT. I would rather go down swinging (with FE) or get 1st (or 2nd). I used to play like a complete tightwad near the money in STTs, just trying to survive. Then I got SNGPT, and realized that many of my old plays were -EV. If you can increase your first place finishes enough, busting out a few times here or there isn't going to hurt your ROI that much. And, it is thinking like this that gives you so much FE near the bubble of a STT and makes it such an good time to accumulate chips.