Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2007, 01:41 PM

Default Re: Dealer contributes to confusion... Floor please!

I'm curious how others feel about that. You say you don't count cards in your hand when determining the nuts. So if you have a hand that, by existing, makes another bigger hand impossible, do you think to yourself, "well, I have third nuts, but second best hand that's possible here..." etc etc? What's the shorthand for this, if not "second nuts"?
Old 11-11-2007, 03:18 PM

Default Thoughts and results...

Thoughts:

To me it was very, very apparent UTG did not want to face a river bet. I was also sure MP wasn't shooting an angle and had a legit hand.

Moral of story: Don't use key verbal binding words (all-in, check, bet etc.) when inquiring about action.

Results:

Floor upheld the check. MP showed K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and took it down.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts.

Garland
Old 11-11-2007, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you coun't retarded, 2nd. If you coun't stupid, 3rd. If you coun't like the rest of us, 4th.

[/ QUOTE ]

Coun't is a contraction of what, exactly?

--klez

[/ QUOTE ]

NICE, way to pick up on that typo. Damn. Consider a job as a writer, or proof reader for a major paper. I don't know about the rest of the forum, but you've managed to impress me.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was intended as a good natured poke in the ribs to someone who was referring to others as stupid and retarded. Sorry you didn't get it.

Perhaps I should have used a smiley?

--klez
Old 11-11-2007, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm curious how others feel about that. You say you don't count cards in your hand when determining the nuts. So if you have a hand that, by existing, makes another bigger hand impossible, do you think to yourself, "well, I have third nuts, but second best hand that's possible here..." etc etc? What's the shorthand for this, if not "second nuts"?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. The cards in your hand help deterine the NUTS. You use all available information to determine the NUTS (Best possible hand). If you hold the 98 in the earlier example you have the NUTS because no one could hold a better hand.
[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-11-2007, 09:34 PM

Default Re: generalized stupidity sends al_capone_junior on a rant

Well I've been kicked in the nuts plenty of times, so you may just hafta do what you gotta do. I've even had to kick myself in the nuts on occasion.

I don't hear well, and work in a very noisy room, which is why I confirm everything aloud, especially if I wasn't 100% clear on the matter. Doing this keeps these misunderstandings at my table from happening. It's a very rare day that the action at my table would get screwed up because of unclear action, and I almost never need to call for the floor for any reason.

If someone who speaks english as a second language would also confirm everything, it would go a long way towards making things run smoother.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't hear well, and work in a very noisy room, which is why I confirm everything aloud, especially if I wasn't 100% clear on the matter. Doing this keeps these misunderstandings at my table from happening. It's a very rare day that the action at my table would get screwed up because of unclear action, and I almost never need to call for the floor for any reason.

If someone who speaks english as a second language would also confirm everything, it would go a long way towards making things run smoother.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean maybe if he repeated what he thought the action was, then the player could object if that wasn't what he said?

[ QUOTE ]
However, the dealer, whose first language clearly isn’t English, believed MP only said “check” and then repeated “check”.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on Al, now admit it. you were a little to quick with the kick to the nuts here, you know this dealer doesn't deserve it. But its okay, I'm all for kicking the player in the nuts.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Imagine how this hand conversation goes [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]:

Dealer indicates SB's turn to act.
SB: "Check"
Dealer: "Did you say check?"
SB: "Yes, check."
Dealer indicates BB's turn to act.
BB: "Check"
Dealer: "Did you say check?"
BB: "Yup, check"
Dealer indicates UTG's turn to act.
UTG: "Check"
Dealer: "Excuse, please. Is that check?"
UTG: "Yes, check"

Rinse and repeat...

Garland
Old 11-11-2007, 11:06 PM

There's a real easy way around all of this, to ensure you are never misunderstood.

State your action AND act. Say "check" while tapping the table. Say "bet" or "raise" while putting out chips. Say "pass" before you throw the cards in. Not only will this belt and suspenders approach greatly reduce the risk of you being misunderstood, it will help speed the game along. Everybody wins.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:05 AM

Great answer. Pass it around everywhere you go.

Give this man one "get out of getting kicked in the nuts free" card.

Al
Old 11-12-2007, 11:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am flipping out because I want to bet my second nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Third nuts, arguably fourth (depending on how you count).

[/ QUOTE ]

If you coun't retarded, 2nd. If you coun't stupid, 3rd. If you coun't like the rest of us, 4th.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the third best hand possible at the table. It's the fourth best theoretical hand. I certainly wouldn't call that distinction "stupid", and calling it the third nuts is actually more practical, and thus probably more accurate in this case. For example, had there been 3 players in this hand rather than 2, then saying he had the 3rd nuts is actually more accurate.