Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 11-29-2007, 12:43 AM

Default Player didn\'t call the last bet but tabled his boat

Live 6/12 game. Lots of betting, and on the river player 1 bets out and player 2 raises. The action is headsup. Player 2 said very clearly (at least I heard it) "raizit" in his russian accent. Player 1 tables his hand without calling the bet. Player 2 says "send it" and opens his straight. Player 1 has a boat. The dealer reads both hands, and pushes the pot to player 1, after destroying the board and both hands (putting them back in the much/stub pile).

Floor is called over and the ruling is upheld. Is this correct?
Old 11-29-2007, 12:52 AM

Default Re: Player didn\'t call the last bet but tabled his boat

[ QUOTE ]
Live 6/12 game. Lots of betting, and on the river player 1 bets out and player 2 raises. The action is headsup. Player 2 said very clearly (at least I heard it) "raizit" in his russian accent. Player 1 tables his hand without calling the bet. Player 2 says "send it" and opens his straight. Player 1 has a boat. The dealer reads both hands, and pushes the pot to player 1, after destroying the board and both hands (putting them back in the much/stub pile).

[/ QUOTE ]

Well Player 1 needs to call the final bet, but he is welcome to do so right now if he would like.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:53 AM

Maybe not technically - but in the spirit of the best interest of the game it is.

I have seen this happen - and the dealer asked the player opening his hand whether he was calling or folding. The player then realized he had to push a bet out and did so (in my case without having seen the other hand).

In this case the dealer assumed it was a call. And the Floor backed him up. Worst hand failed to win on a technicality.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:29 AM

Opening your hand heads up in a cash game is generally not a fold. The player is typically given the opportunity to act, even after opening his hand.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:11 AM

Couldn't you even turn your cards face-up in front of you and play the entire hand that way? (not sure why you'd want to) Turning your cards over does not fold your hand.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:57 AM

I think he should raise.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Couldn't you even turn your cards face-up in front of you and play the entire hand that way? (not sure why you'd want to) Turning your cards over does not fold your hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

bingo

as long as it's HU, you can do whatever you want. If you are routinely exposing cards multiway, then other players can rightfully object
Old 11-30-2007, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The only problem I see here is that the dealer should have asked player 1 if he calls the bet before awarding him the pot. It has already been pointed out that exposing your hand in a live game does not kill the hand, but a call must still be made either verbally or by putting the chips in the pot. The dealer made a mistake by assuming that it was a call and awarding the pot without making the player complete the action.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well Player 1 needs to call the final bet, but he is welcome to do so right now if he would like.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course it is possible that he said call in a low voice which the dealer heard, but OP didn't.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The only problem I see here is that the dealer should have asked player 1 if he calls the bet before awarding him the pot. It has already been pointed out that exposing your hand in a live game does not kill the hand, but a call must still be made either verbally or by putting the chips in the pot. The dealer made a mistake by assuming that it was a call and awarding the pot without making the player complete the action.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a limit game. It's such an obvious call that there is no need for the dealer to ask. If it was NL that would be different.