Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2007, 12:03 PM

Default Trouble accepting moving down

Sorry if these seems like another "I can't win post-UIGEA" post, but I want some advice. Last september I was consistantly beating the party 200nl games 8-12 tabling and I took about 8k out of those games. I went into a panic when the whole ban on internet gaming thing happend and cashed out all but 1k. I ran that up to 3k and then decided to take it all offline until things settled down and future of internet poker became clearer. I started playing again in February and ran small $100-$200 deposits up to ~$1500 a few times and always lose it playing 200nl because I can't take any other limit seriously. I now find myself trying to practice good BR management and since I only have $200 online playing 10nl. Over the last 6k hands I'm pretty much breakeven/very slight winner versus some pretty terrible players. Do I just suck at poker? Why can a player like me beat games from 50nl-200nl when bankrolled but can't beat 10nl? Any input appreciated..

Nikolay
Old 09-06-2007, 10:57 PM

Default Re: Trouble accepting moving down

You might think about switching to SNGs until you rebuild your roll. It won't be fast, but you're likely to take those more seriously than you do very low buyin cash games.

BTW: I can't play NL$10 either, because I'm too likely to say "[censored] it, it's only a couple bucks" when faced with a bet I know I shouldn't call.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:06 AM

I feel exactly the same way about 10NL right now. I guess I will give SNG's a shot. Thanks for the advice!

Nikolay
Old 09-07-2007, 10:00 AM

Remember to start pretty small with the SNGs, maybe the $6.50 turbos on Stars. Don't want a bad run of cards to eat your BR.

Once they get going, you won't even think about the buyin and it'll be pretty easy to play your A game.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:20 AM

I used to 12 table SNG's back in the day up to $55's so I know the basic just of it. Played 8 last night, won 4 and got second in another. I guess I will just play these until I am bankrolled for $25NL. Thanks for help guys.

Nikolay
Old 09-18-2007, 02:07 AM

Stars got generally tighter early in 2007. I am not sure if you have worked your way up limit by limit (didn't look like it) but if I would be sure that I can beat 100nl, I wouldn't like to play it again, but if my bankroll drops to half, I couldn't play 200nl anymore. If one could play some other form or limit holdem, that's one way to build up, or if one thinks one is at least a break even player at 200nl, one could work the money back (day job) and focus more on picking better tables and playing less tables. I don't know about your 10nl problem after 6k of hands but maybe you haven't played enough poker and just got lucky? Or you haven't worked up from the bottom (I started from 1c/2c not too long ago and have played at many places, vs. many styles, and with many styles, tighter and softer, everything)
Old 09-18-2007, 06:16 PM

I think moving down is a thing a lot of players have trouble with and is a subconcious ego thing, especially after a player has beaten a level for some time and hits a downswing or whatever. It can be hard adjusting to a lower level for many reasons, weaker players ect but i think you should look at your game. I dont know how you play obv but Nl $10 is very different to nl $200 and some of the plays just wont work at the micro limits where the players are mostly weak or beginners so i would suggest tightening up and playing straight forward poker at these limits, in other words dont get to fancy, boring i know but i think this is the best way to beat the smaller limits. try this and see if it helps.

good luck.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:28 AM

let me get this straight you were beating 200NL in sep'06 10 tabling and in feb'07 you can't beat 10NL?

first of all how many hands did you play at 200NL?
second playing 10NL is just a waste of time for someone beating 200NL imo of course the games are tougher now but at least you can deposit 1k and play 50NL right?

playing 10NL will [censored] up your mind and game i think.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:25 AM

I am a little confused. You had a large BR until you withdrew it because of the uncertainty surrounding online poker. Now are you saying you have just spent it all and therefore you only have a $200 BR. If that is the case then proper BR management at appropriate levels is obviously needed even if you do get frustrated.

However, if you still have a larger BR (albeit that you havn't re-deposited online) then your true BR is much higher and you can play higher limits if you are prepared to re-deposit if you lose the initial $200.

I think people get distracted when they have an amount online in that they say "well therefore that is my BR". However, if you can and will re-deposit your actual poker BR could well be higher.

Yes, I know we don't like re-depositing but if this is artificially making you drop buy-ins then your mind set is not going to be right. We all have different levels where we can play optimum poker. Playing too high makes you worry about the money and playing too low means you don't worry enough. Either way you are not playing your best.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:15 AM

Thanks to all that have responded to this thread, every comment has given me some insight. I decided to stop playing 10NL and just play 25NL-50NL and I have worked my bankroll up to ~$750. I guess I will just grind out the same stakes until I get a proper 100NL roll together.

Rek I appreciate the input you have given on the situation. I overlook the fact that my money outside of poker can effectively be used to redeposit, but I don't play for a living obviously and I'm not a huge fan of dipping into my bank to replenish a smallish bankroll.

Again, thanks for all advice, I'll post results at end of month if anyone is interested.

Nikolay