Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2007, 04:45 AM

Default Re: Calling all newbs and veterans... good multiway situation or fold?

--The grunched part--
That's a fold.

--The non-grunched--
Wookie's advice is cold but to the point. If you don't want to quit, recognize the other part of his statement about the fundamental flaws and perhaps start at the very beginning?

If discussion is what you're trying to create: My advice as far as being devil's advocate and asking vets and noobs at the same time, is to not have a very one sided clear cut question.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ummmm, yeah. So, Nick. You're posting lots (but not too much, which is also good), and I admire your determination. However, if you are actually thinking about calling this even after all the work you've put in so far, it's quite probable that your misunderstanding of the way poker works is so fundamental that you should seriously consider taking up a new hobby.

Sincerly,

Herr Wookie

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't tap plstyvmuch
Old 08-06-2007, 06:18 AM

post not really called for wookie ?

If you hold speculative hands like Axs or a small pocket pair where the main strength is flush or set potential you want to see a flop cheaply. They don't flop a big hand or draw enough to make up for multiple bets preflop. If there was just one raise then the decision would be closer. Also you are out of position for the entire hand.

^^Did I do good? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-06-2007, 06:24 AM

Nick, a better question would have been should you call in this spot if was simply raised instead of 3 bet

when its raised and reraised it is a clear fold and it is not even close. actually rather than talk about one specfic hand, if you asked what range of hands you'd call a raise with in spot and then asked what youu would play if it was raised and reraised (as per your example) then that would generate more discussion.

also when thinking about spots like this consider where the raise and reraise comes from.

oh and ask yourself, would you call if it wasnt sooted and then think about how much value being sooted actually adds.

finally, in that other thread you started you were given some great advice...I just want to reiterate that Session Reviews are a great way to learn especially to learn the fundamentals. If you dont know what session reviews are then just ask and/or search for Session Reviews and you should find an FAQ that answers most of the questions.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:33 AM

Hi Nick!

Just wanted to say, don't care too much about what old posters say (not about this is an easy fold: it is). It's just that they heard everything a zillion times. Also it seems to me to be a part of poker culture to pick on weak players. I've heard I'm an idiot thousands of times here, don't worry about it. 55 posts is like nothing and this game is very complicated.

Just keep posting and do ur best and one beatiful day u will be able to pick on new posters [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]!
Old 08-06-2007, 08:58 AM

My reasoning is the opening raise suggests a good hand TT+ AQ+ AJs+, the 3-bet suggests a better hand TT+ AKs AK. SSHE says that you should only raise or play QQ+ and AKs in this situation. There are two much better hands already in the pot than A5s so FOLD.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:09 AM

Definitely a fold, unless you're playing at my table. Then I think it's a clear call or maybe even a reraise!
Old 08-06-2007, 09:22 AM

Grunch: Definite fold!! Now, if CO had coldcalled instead of 3-bet it might be a different story.

Doc
Old 08-06-2007, 09:25 AM

horrible spot to call.

I'm probably the loosest player on this message board and i dont even consider calling this.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:34 AM

Nick, agt,

Yeah, I'm mean, and I'm not going to apologize for it. The culture of this forum is "tough love." We'll tell you the right course of action, but we make no promises to sugar-coat our responses to make you feel better about your bad play. If you want a soft, cushy environment, you can look at the Beginners forum, although there won't be as many good strategy posters there.

You see, Nick, you got my attention when you posted that thread about your losses and how you think you're bad at poker. It's ok to be bad at poker. However, you have to ask yourself if you're bad at poker because you haven't studied enough or because you just don't understand what you've studied. Well, you said you'd read SSHE twice. That's pretty good, and it should give you a pretty firm grasp of the basics of the game. But then I look at two of your most recent threads, one where you're actually considering calling 2.5 SB preflop with A5s, and another where you hesitate to bet with two frickin' pair. Actually, though, your A9 blind battle hand is a good post for you. SSHE and HPFAP don't cover blind battles that much, so not having played perfectly in that situation is understandable, and I hope you got something out of that post. Anyway, to me, two of the easiest to understand and most important concepts in poker are preflop play and betting the best hand for value. If you know nothing about hand protection, pumping strong draws for value, pot equity against ranges of hands, and you NEVER bluff, I think you could be a mild winner in the nanolimits if you have solid preflop play, you bet good hands, especially when no one tells you that you're beaten, and you pay attention to pot odds with your draws when you don't think you have the best hand.

If you can't seem to get those things in order, even after having read and reread some of the best books on LHE available, I honestly don't know what to tell you. My first inclination is that maybe poker is not your game. If you're not at least open to the possibility that you're not very good and you're not understanding what people are trying to teach and consequently you should quit, you're destined to piss away tons of money on the tables. It's time to be honest with yourself, dude.