Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games

Old 11-27-2007, 05:00 PM

Default PC asdf config. vs. console controller

My first console was an Atari and my last was the first Playstation. Almost all of my gaming since then has been on the PC and this primarily consists of FPS and MMORPGs. I've decided to pick up an XBOX because watching the Guitar Hero commercials and reading the thread in this forum is killing me a little more everyday.

The problem is I'm having a difficult time adjusting to the thumbsticks after using the asdf keyboard configuration for so long (specifically talking about FPS games - I seem to be fine with sports). I'm not as fluid with the controller as I am with the keyboard and I have to focus on the controller a lot more where the PC is more natural. Obviously this detracts from the enjoyment of the game.

Has anyone else experienced the same when making the transition? Is it simply a matter of time and getting familiar with the controller or have do some PC gamers continue to struggle? At 36 I'm definitely older than most of the posters in this forum who have probably used the thumbsticks for as long as they have been gaming. This old dog is having a tough time learning this new trick though.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:05 PM

Default Re: PC asdf config. vs. console controller

it has to be just a matter of adjustment
Old 11-27-2007, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it has to be just a matter of adjustment

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope so because I've grown weary of constantly upgrading video cards, processors, etc... just to play a video game. I can buy the XBOX for less than I would have to spend on my next video card. I'd rather be able to dumb down my PC where I would only need a system good enough for business, cards, web surfing, etc... and start gaming on the console.

If I can just get my thumbs on board with the plan I'll be good to go.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:26 PM

It takes a while, but you get used to it. I suggest staying away from multiplayer to start with. Everyone and their grandmother will wipe the floor with you. At least thats what happend to me.

Play the single player campaigns on easy and you'll move up to normal pretty quick.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:44 PM

OP, I have exactly the same problem. After playing through the Orange Box games and a bit of Halo 3 and Bioshock, I'm starting to get used to it. I still get killed online, but I'm getting there.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:34 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

I played Halo3 and hated it, I assume the joysticks weighed in heavily there.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:14 PM

I can't get used to it, so I just bought a video card for my PC so I can play CoD4 with a keyboard+mouse.

If you're like me you probably won't enjoy FPS as much, since not only does it feel awkward to control, but you suck and get killed more which takes away from the enjoyment factor.

I don't know what your budget is, but the recent cards that just dropped in the $200-$250 price range should be enough to last for a couple years and are quite abit cheaper than a 360, especially when you account for other fees like xbox live. If your whole system is old then it will obviously be more costly to upgrade.

Guitar hero 3 is also on PC FWIW.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:16 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

I was gonna say, I bought a 8800gt a few months ago for like 150. I dont imagine you have to spend 3x that much for a perfectly fine card.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:20 PM

Yea, I have the PC for FPS and RTS games, and the 360 for sports and racing games.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:22 PM

I'm guessing you meant 8600GT? I just paid $225 for a 8800GT and it's only been out about a month.