Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2007, 10:49 AM

Default Re: Don\'t taze me drone!

[ QUOTE ]
That is NOT why your profession gets picked on more than most. Not even close. The reason your profession gets picked on more than most is the same exact reason the excuse "Well there are [censored] in every profession" holds very little weight.

[/ QUOTE ]

It isn't really an excuse you know, but more of an explanation. And it IS a better explanation than 'all policeofficers are [********]'.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Therefore, the only viable option I have left at my disposal is a taser, which is scientifically proven to be so harmless that it does not interfere with a subjects pacemaker.

Also, another piece of information you all may be interested to know. The pain from a taser hit goes away about 10 seconds after using it. Compare that with the 6-8 hours of OC pepper spray, and the sometimes permanent injuries of the good ole baton and fist methods.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which I don't disagree with, obviously. The thing is, there's been a recent spate of taser deaths up here in Canada and it's become enough of an issue that the Senate wants the matter looked into and taser use paused until the investigation's done.

Personally, I think it's a good weapon for officers to have in violent situations though. There are more good cops than there are bad cops, and it's a high-visibility profession where PR is concerned, and a few bad cops can really ruin the image of officers in general.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Therefore, the only viable option I have left at my disposal is a taser, which is scientifically proven to be so harmless that it does not interfere with a subjects pacemaker.

[/ QUOTE ]

That tasers generally don't affect pacemakers doesn't imply they're harmless. The taser is potentially lethal and is entirely capable of causing permanent damage. You don't [censored] around with electricity and the human body. Even a violet wand shouldn't be used without extreme caution, IMO.

And violent force should never be used except as a last resort.

Law enforcement in general? I have a cynical outlook and have had bad experiences. I say you only have to look as far as the nearest law enforcement forum online to see what I'm talking about. But that's off the topic. We aren't talking about the times when lethal force is justified, we're talking about the times when it isn't. Youtube features many videos of tasers being used by law enforcement as a pain compliance device, or even for punishment/revenge. And I'm sure that for every video that gets posted there are a thousand incidents that go unreported. Every one of those officers should be fired and should never be in a position of authority again as long as they live. But what they get are slaps on the wrist - if anything. And that's a serious problem.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That is NOT why your profession gets picked on more than most. Not even close. The reason your profession gets picked on more than most is the same exact reason the excuse "Well there are [censored] in every profession" holds very little weight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you imagine a surgeon using that excuse? "I was having a bad day, I cut a few corners so I could go home early, what's the big deal?"
Old 11-28-2007, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It isn't really an excuse you know, but more of an explanation. And it IS a better explanation than 'all policeofficers are [********]'.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean it isnt an excuse? Its given as a response when people say "Something should be done about police" and then someone responds "There are [censored] in every profession." That isnt an explanation its an excuse, in other words, NO, something should not be done, its inevitable. (The "something" here is left nebulous to suit the situation). If it were just people grousing about cops fine but we are talking about actual actions and policies and "there are always bad apples" is being used as an ARGUMENT for why we dont need to take these things into consideration. In other words, an excuse.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the problem is that the bad police apples are vehemently defended by every other police officer all the way up to the top. and by DAs.

also police are trained to lie on(officially) and off(unofficially) the stand.

also a lot of places the taser is a pain compliance device. which means if you get pulled over and the officer tells you to get out of the car and you refuse, they are trained to just tase you repeatedly until you get out. which might be ok for a guy or a big guy, but when it happens to a 90 pound woman it's just dumb cause any cop even a girl cop should be able to manhandle a 90 pounder. I mean, come on.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you imagine a surgeon using that excuse? "I was having a bad day, I cut a few corners so I could go home early, what's the big deal?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, there are bad apples in surgery AND THIS IS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS and so very extreme measures are taken to prevent these bad apples. Institutional measures, personal measures, whatever it takes, because we simply cannot have bad apples in certain professions. Wal Mart employees who pocket money out of the till, yeah ok, cops, surgeons, airline pilots, different ballgame.

But surgery (and medicine in general) is a lot closer to the cop end of the spectrum (maybe I should say cops are closer to the medicine end of the spectrum) than the airline end. The airline industry is, honestly, pretty amazing when it comes to stuff like this. They have taken so many institutional steps to prevent error and abuse, they are pretty much the closest thing to perfect that exists, at least that I know of. They show that it can be done if its important enough. If we are going to have police, then I think its important enough.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the problem is that the bad police apples are vehemently defended by every other police officer all the way up to the top. and by DAs.

also police are trained to lie on(officially) and off(unofficially) the stand.

also a lot of places the taser is a pain compliance device. which means if you get pulled over and the officer tells you to get out of the car and you refuse, they are trained to just tase you repeatedly until you get out. which might be ok for a guy or a big guy, but when it happens to a 90 pound woman it's just dumb cause any cop even a girl cop should be able to manhandle a 90 pounder. I mean, come on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also they should rightly be held to a ridiculous standard because they have guns and imprison people.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
police are trained to lie on(officially) and off(unofficially) the stand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Source? And this is one HELL of a statement, I want pages and pages. Unless your source is Law & Order or something. Then again, it probably is.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Source? I've yet to see a dept where the taser was used that way. It is a compliance device, but not pain compliance. Then again, you probably don't know the difference anyway. Well, actally I'm sure you don't, because your very definition of what a pain compliance device is and how it can be used were miles off the mark.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
police are trained to lie on(officially) and off(unofficially) the stand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Source? And this is one HELL of a statement, I want pages and pages. Unless your source is Law & Order or something. Then again, it probably is.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Source? I've yet to see a dept where the taser was used that way. It is a compliance device, but not pain compliance. Then again, you probably don't know the difference anyway. Well, actally I'm sure you don't, because your very definition of what a pain compliance device is and how it can be used were miles off the mark.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait. Do you actually work for Blackwater?