Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 10-09-2007, 10:56 PM

Default Re: Blind Date Set-Up

[ QUOTE ]
dont call. send pic of your junk

[/ QUOTE ]

If you got married, you'd have one hell of a how-you-met story.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:37 AM

POST PIC OF GIRL
Old 10-10-2007, 12:43 AM

read OP, scrolled to bottom, no pic seems to have been produced.

wtf is the hold up?
Old 10-10-2007, 01:02 AM

this situation is hard for us crackers to understand. But now that I am multi-cultural in the Bay Area I realize it happens fairly often. Go with Diablo's advice.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
All,

I'm surprised a number of people appear to be having such a hard time grasping the fact that something strange to them could be perfectly normal in another cultural group.

[/ QUOTE ]
ElD,
I think what is strange is to just get a phone number and call this girl outta the blue- with the expectation that a date should be set up. I understand the cultural part to a degree- from the midwest part, my parents are always wanting to set me up...however their taste is not mine. In the past, i have been called, when expecting it, and it never goes well. Maybe the guy is nervous like OP. But i'm the easiest person to converse with and so i think they guy chokes. But it leaves this pathetic aftertaste in my mouth, so i squirm outta any plan that might be trying to get set up.

IF OP really wants to do this, then i think El D has the best lines to open a conversation. El D you need to give him advice for 'if' she says no...or isn't really responsive in the beginning. I want at all costs to not have this happen again:

[ QUOTE ]
Last time something like this happened I called the girl, said hi my name is eddie your mom gave my dad your #, were u expecting my call, she said no, this was followed by like 5 seconds of akward silence n I finnaly said oh ok I gues bye then. None of us wanna repeat that.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-10-2007, 02:18 AM

yes an awkward moment on the fone with someone that means nothing to you is a truly tragic event that should be avoided at all costs.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:20 AM

btw i find this entire thing completely surreal and have no concept of how it could happen in any culture tbh, outside of an arranged marriage kind of thing, but putting myself in op's situation as best as i can, just call say 'hi, your dad gave me your number said you were looking for a man, well baby today is your lucky day'
Old 10-10-2007, 05:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
blunty,

"Hi, is this Svetlana? OK, cool. My name's Dmitry, I think you might know my dad, Sergei Petrov, he is friends with your dad. Anyway, your dad thought it might be fun for us to get together. How about we get together tomorrow evening for some pierogies and vodka? Excellent, see you tomorrow!"

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an anagram, right? Cause a first date with pie orgies and vodka might be the greatest thing I've ever heard of. Otherwise this makes no sense.

Oh, and I thought this situation was weird cause my parents accepted my wife's dowery on my first birthday.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:56 AM

Hey, OP, here's what I suggest:

"Hi, My name is Eddie. I'm a nice guy. How are you?"
"Hi, I'm Martha. How are you?"
"Want to come out for drinks this Friday night after work? I'd love to meet some new faces!"
"Sure, where at?"
(etc.)

How you could mess it up:

"Hi, My name is Eddie. I'm a nice guy. How are you?"
"Hi, I'm Martha. How are you?"
"I'm fine."
"Me too."
"Um..."
(silence)
"That's great."
"Yeah."
"Hey, I was wondering... like... are you free this Friday night?"
"I can't make this Friday night, so sorry."
"How about Saturday night?"
"That's no good for me."
"How about next Friday or next Saturday?"
"Can't make those either, sorry."
"When are you free then?"
"Let me check my diary... how about never? Is never good for you?"
Old 10-10-2007, 06:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
blunty,

"Hi, is this Svetlana? OK, cool. My name's Dmitri, I think you might know my dad, Sergei Petrov, he is friends with your dad. Anyway, your dad thought it might be fun for us to get together. How about we get together tomorrow evening for some perogies and vodka? Excellent, see you tomorrow!"

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP - other than that, looks good.

OP - this is not weird / awkward at all as long as the girl knows about the setup. Standard matchmaking, and parents get involved in alot of cultures. Go for it.

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

The confusion might be coming from the fact that if the 'e' is stressed in russian its pronounced more like 'ye', or 'ie', so a russian person writing in english would just not think to put an 'i' there even though its pronounced that way. can an actual russian confirm this or correct me?

blunty,
a bit off topic, but would you say that russian parents are in general not very protective of their daughters' sexuality? is virginity at all an issue in traditional russian culture?