Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2007, 06:52 PM

Default is this unethical??

was at the borg this afternoon playin 2/5NL. a man to my left has been very friendly to me when this hand came up. i have about 500-600 in front of me and the BB has me covered. i was in the SB with 2/4 of spades. 2 limpers and the BB chks and we get a flop of K/9/6 of spades. i lead out for 25 the BB calls and the limpers fold. turn comes a A of hearts. i bet out 60 and he raises me 100 more. i think for a while and know he has the A of spades. i announced "raise", before i can say anything thing else he screams out "ALLIN". at this point i had to put out at least 100 for the raise i was going to make, so i put it in.
so i now have about 300 left and ask him if i should call him. i show him my small flush and he says "thats no good, i got u beat, ill show you". so i said "ok, i believe you" and mucked. he then immediatley threw his hand in the muck! i was like wtf, i never seen any1 do this to anyone b4 and he simply said "i lied". what an [censored]! i know for sure i folded the best hand because i believed this [censored]. i learned a new lesson today. is this unethical?
Old 02-02-2007, 07:10 PM

Default Re: is this unethical??

Well, if lying is unethical, then yeah. It's not against any rules, though.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:40 PM

No, poker actually contains some elements of deception.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:05 PM

This is a situation i hate more than any in poker. Although unethical, yes, it is not against the rules. You can argue with him about it for days, nothing will change. If he shows you a better hand, muck. If not, trust your reads, not some poker player you dont even know.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:35 PM

There is nothing unethical about taking money from a dummy at the poker table.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-03-2007, 08:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this comment, although this isnīt really deception itīs just [censored] ugly. Maybe itīs just me but I youldnīt do it...
I guess this is the last time it has happened to you... [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 02-03-2007, 11:21 AM

It's certainly not ethical, but there are times when you can pull a move like that. Twice, and twice only thus far, I have gone to a show down with an opponent and lied about what I had before showing it. The reason was, on several occassions when these two guys were weak they were often folding at the showdown as soon as another player declared their hand (but before turning it over). Both times I declared a small set (when I had missed my draw) in the hopes they would fold as they had proven to do in similar situations..and it worked!

Now, needless to say these players were pissed when they saw I'd "exagerated", but when cards play themselves..and not what you say you have and a mucked hand is dead, you win the pot. Not saying this was a nice move, but sometimes you gotta do something extra to win a hand. Will I try this move again, probably not, I don't usually want my ATM's angry with me.

I'm not sure why you folded though. You made the hand you were going for and figured him for just the As. It smells like he might have got lucky with Aces up with the As. At most he had 13 outs to improve, match his A or 2nd pair for a boat or any spade. If you're beat, then you're beat, you "could" runner-runner a straight flush (not likely). The pot was 390 after you matched the 100 more..I think you have to call this like every time.

Sucks though, slash his tires, take his stack, have a beer.

D_D
Old 02-03-2007, 12:24 PM

yes, i totally agree that this was a call i had to make. if it wasnt for him being friendly with me and having a small convo with me thru out the game i wouldve never took his word for it. he totally made me believe in what he was saying and he said he was goin to show me his hand.
i personally and i think a majority of players, wouldnt LIE about their hand AND say i'll show u if u muck and when your opponent mucks u quickly toss your hand away. i just wouldnt say anything at all.
but like i said, i learned a great lesson at the table today and i hope everyone that reads this learns too.
Old 02-03-2007, 02:56 PM

I like TJ Clouthier's quote:

"If you tell somebody your hand, you better be lying."