Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2007, 09:58 PM

Default Re: Live 5/5 game, semi deep.

[ QUOTE ]
against described villain i'm raising this up for sure - unless i've been caught out of line a lot.

dude will not get 200 BB in w one pair and 55/66 makes sense for you. if he calls then he has KK like 85% of the time, so take the freebie unless you hit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand your point, and don't necessarily disagree. He "should" fold a lot of hands in theory to a raise, but that doesn't mean he'll fold and he very well could push me in. He's not scared money in the least.

Also, he won't smoothcall with KKK and probably not AA either which makes it very hard to raise and expect to see a turn card. He'll either fold, or he'll repop me and I'll be in a bad spot.

With regards to your "don't be an idiot" remark, I believe I gave that poster exactly the level of reply he deserved. His post was meaningless, and in addition, bad advice. Being the big stake player you are, you know this is true.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Fold to the 160 pf

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have a picture of another poker player as an avatar, I don't want to hear your "advice" please.

Thanks,

Alex

[/ QUOTE ]
No problem
Old 03-20-2007, 10:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You don't like the guy's advice, so you decide that it's not worthy and then you give a ridiculous reason for having done so? This is silly, listen to what the man has to say, and discuss intelligently.

Folding preflop is a viable option, you're the first caller into a pot where a solid player has hammered it into several others. I'm not saying you can't call, but folding is a fine line.

On the flop, see another card. Your implied is pretty good here, if you destroy the turn it will be an innocuous card and thus not slow down your opponent.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll reply to this as per your paragraphs.

Paragraph 1. The man didn't give advice. He scolded me for playing an inferior hand but negated to A. Add the pot (call 115 with 310 in the pot) B. Note my position (The best there is in our lil game) and C. Note the stack sizes (sorta big). Not to mention the unlikeliness of me stacking off with 78s (mildly to somewhat unlikely)

Paragraph 2. Obviously, which is why I LOL'd at him. Folding is always an option, and not usually a bad one. To me though, I'm not ever, ever folding this under these conditions. But thanks to everyone for pointing out that it's an option. Noted.

Paragraph 3. Yes, I agree. In fact this is what I did, and the turn was....

4h

BB thinks, looks at chips, thinks, and bets 450. This bet size indicated very little to me, and I believe is a perfect bet for him to both trap and to leave enough to get away from.

Hero ?????
Old 03-20-2007, 10:45 PM

dude preflop is ridiculously awful
Old 03-20-2007, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
against described villain i'm raising this up for sure - unless i've been caught out of line a lot.

dude will not get 200 BB in w one pair and 55/66 makes sense for you. if he calls then he has KK like 85% of the time, so take the freebie unless you hit.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think we have way more FE if we smoothcall the flop and raise any non-A turn. that looks much stronger.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:50 PM

that said, call flop

if he checks bet the turn for 1/2 pot regardless of what falls
Old 03-21-2007, 07:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
dude preflop is ridiculously awful

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's not. If it is, explain why. Saying something is awful, or better, ridiculously awful without giving a reason is just a waste of bandwith.

I've given my reasons for calling. I seem to do ok despite these apparently awful plays, so I'll continue to make these calls until someone shows me why not to.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

If a raise is proper, what size is optimal? If I raise and am pooooshed upon, calling seems horrible, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

this guy will be pushing here like never - regardless of holdings. if he happens to, just do the math.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend to disagree. I think he'll push with KK, AK and AA which make up half his range, should he decide I'm FOS. And he CAN make that determination on occasion, since he's a pretty solid player.

Plus, isn't stealing on the turn much more believable? Why would I raise this fairly dry board with a set when every turn card looks safe?
Old 03-21-2007, 08:04 AM

because you just called off 23bb with a purely speculative hand against a solid player whose range here should be wider than AA/KK

23bb coldcalls with 87s (granted it's more a 5-10bb mistake) aren't just something you can chalk up to image/position etc, because mistakes in nlhe escalate. Do you just c/f a 7 high flop? Do you just raise if you flop a pure flush draw? Jesus just get yourself out of this mess - you've got 8-high and it's 23 more bb. Let him have this one.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:14 AM

zee did you noticed that they are 400+ bb deep?

that said i think its a fold but nowhere near as horrible as you are depicting it