Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2007, 05:20 PM

Default Re: Is John Edwards a complete retard?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Revenues have reached an all time high under Bush. What more do they want? I don't understand why certain people think it's not enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

seriously, are you paid to post inane statements on bulletin boards on behalf of the administration? or are you just trolling?

inflation and population growth cause revenues to go up over time. would you like to give credit to Bush for the sun rising in the morning?

[/ QUOTE ]

Revenues have gone up under Bush. What else do you need to know? I am far from a Bush fan but the tax picture is hardly one of his failings. I can't even believe you or anyone could possibly think we need to raise taxes.

natedogg
Old 02-05-2007, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Revenues have reached an all time high under Bush. What more do they want? I don't understand why certain people think it's not enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

seriously, are you paid to post inane statements on bulletin boards on behalf of the administration? or are you just trolling?

inflation and population growth cause revenues to go up over time. would you like to give credit to Bush for the sun rising in the morning?

[/ QUOTE ]

Revenues have gone up under Bush. What else do you need to know? I am far from a Bush fan but the tax picture is hardly one of his failings. I can't even believe you or anyone could possibly think we need to raise taxes.

natedogg

[/ QUOTE ]

Surprised you are falling for this one nate. Although revenues have gone up under Bush, it is logically possible that they could have gone up more under someone else with higher rates. Unlikely, but possible.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There have been a number of recent studies (albeit produced by CATO and Heritage economists) showing an historically inverse relationship between tax rates and tax revenues in the United States with the data adjusted for inflation. I am not an economist myself, but the reviews of the studies I have read (especially with respect to the CATO one) do not dismiss them as overly ideological or partisan.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:56 PM

Default Which Polls??? (n/m)

Old 02-05-2007, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Unlikely, but possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not as funny as natedogg, but you're close
Old 02-05-2007, 06:05 PM

What in your mind is a true measure for comparison's sake?

Edit: Apparently you know already that revenues when adjusted for the factors you mention are above the historical average and median. If we look from 1952 (when spending increased alot) then we're above the average and right at the median. Revenues were at the max during the late 1990's. Many attribute that to the windfall the government received from capital gains from the stock market boom and view them as an aberration.

I think you need to look at the spending side of the budget to get a true picture of what's going on with government spending. Basically spending reached an all time high during the Reagan years but when Grahm-Rudman kicked in, spending was reduced significantly. It's been rising since 2000 and from what the politicians are stating, it will continue to rise at a rate that will eventually be what is was during the Reagan years.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There have been a number of recent studies (albeit produced by CATO and Heritage economists)

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a dream....that one day, no one will listen to two words of the propaganda that comes from conservative think tanks

[ QUOTE ]
showing an historically inverse relationship between tax rates and tax revenues in the United States with the data adjusted for inflation.

[/ QUOTE ]

this absurd nonsense that tax cuts will pay for themselves (and it should be logically obvious, i.e., common sense, that it is nonsense) has been discussed and debunked before on this forum. I am currently too lazy to search for the threads myself, but you can find them if you like.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] seriously, are you paid to post inane statements on bulletin boards on behalf of the administration? or are you just trolling?

[/ QUOTE ] Revenues have gone up under Bush. What else do you need to know? I am far from a Bush fan but the tax picture is hardly one of his failings. I can't even believe you or anyone could possibly think we need to raise taxes.

[/ QUOTE ]

You MUST be getting paid..
Old 02-05-2007, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

natedogg

[/ QUOTE ]

Surprised you are falling for this one nate. Although revenues have gone up under Bush, it is logically possible that they could have gone up more under someone else with higher rates. Unlikely, but possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

My only point is that we have gigantic revenues, more than enough. No need to start taxing the rich to bring in more except for vengeance.

natedogg
Old 02-05-2007, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My only point is that we have gigantic revenues, more than enough. No need to start taxing the rich to bring in more except for vengeance.

[/ QUOTE ]

terrific analysis, our revenues are "gigantic", "more than enough", nothing more need be said. let the suffering rich keep their tax "relief". deficit? what deficit? budget smudget.