Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2007, 12:04 PM

Default Help me identify this mid-to-late 80\'s arcade game

There's an old arcade game that was out in the late 80's I think, generally involving a left-to-right platformer (some levels were down-to-up and up-to-down at some points). The "hero" has a whip(?) as a weapon. The hero can kill the monsters using the whip (either horizontally or vertically which makes it the whip works circularly). The hero can also jump on the monsters to stun them momentarily.

Five types of "tokens" can appear on the screen and if the hero gets them, it appears on the bottom of the screen. The first type of token makes the villains whip longer, the second type makes the whip "thicker", the third type gives the hero the ability to immediately kill them monsters upon jumping on them, the fourth is invincibility and the fifth allows the whip the be fired directly upwards instead of circularly.

If I remembered correctly, the hero instantly dies if he touches a monster.

There are many stages and the hero has 90 seconds(?) to complete the run of the level before a big unkillable fiery head appears and swoops the screen in an increasingly fast manner.

I would like to play this game again, but need to identify the name of the game before I can do so. Unforuntately, I was kid at that time and my memory is very poor. Any help is very very much appreciated.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:11 PM

Default Re: Help me identify this mid-to-late 80\'s arcade game

[ QUOTE ]
There's an old arcade game that was out in the late 80's I think, generally involving a left-to-right platformer (some levels were down-to-up and up-to-down at some points). The "hero" has a whip(?) as a weapon. The hero can kill the monsters using the whip (either horizontally or vertically which makes it the whip works circularly). The hero can also jump on the monsters to stun them momentarily.

Five types of "tokens" can appear on the screen and if the hero gets them, it appears on the bottom of the screen. The first type of token makes the villains whip longer, the second type makes the whip "thicker", the third type gives the hero the ability to immediately kill them monsters upon jumping on them, the fourth is invincibility and the fifth allows the whip the be fired directly upwards instead of circularly.

If I remembered correctly, the hero instantly dies if he touches a monster.

There are many stages and the hero has 90 seconds(?) to complete the run of the level before a big unkillable fiery head appears and swoops the screen in an increasingly fast manner.

I would like to play this game again, but need to identify the name of the game before I can do so. Unforuntately, I was kid at that time and my memory is very poor. Any help is very very much appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds a little like Black Tiger, but I never played that so I don't know if all the details are right. I only saw it.

Edit: Definitely not it, as there's no fiery head or vertical whipping.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:12 PM

Rygar?

Looked at this website (not a rickroll) and there is a death enemy that appears when you run out of time and it looks like a large flying head.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:22 PM

Yes, it's Rygar, many thanks!