Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2007, 11:24 PM

Default ***August Fantasy Baseball Thread***

I'm starting this one up a day or so early since the July thread has wound down and, well, I feel like it.

Getting into the home stretch - where's your team at? What pitchers should we be looking out for to break out / get called up / crap themselves, etc? Hitters?

Here's a trade I've just offered.

I give - Joe Mauer
I get - Edgar Renteria

My SS situation has been crap all year. I have Tulowitzki there now. I have V-Mart at catcher, Giambi coming off the DL soon at 1B and Kotchman is available on waivers. I think I'll be better off down the stretch with Renteria / Martinez / Giambi or Kotchman than I will with Mauer / Martinez / Tulo.

Yes?
Old 07-31-2007, 03:04 AM

Default Re: ***August Fantasy Baseball Thread***

Oh yeah,

To pick up Kotchman, I need to drop one of the following:

Gotay (been great but the Mets just traded for Luis Castillo)
or
Brendan Harris (has been slumping but plays every day).

Just waiting for Utley to come back.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh yeah,

To pick up Kotchman, I need to drop one of the following:

Gotay (been great but the Mets just traded for Luis Castillo)
or
Brendan Harris (has been slumping but plays every day).

Just waiting for Utley to come back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Drop Gotay.

Kotchman/Renteria is better than Tulo/Mauer. I hope this isn't a keeper league.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:29 AM

Tulowitzki = 10 HR, 4 SB, .276 AVG since June.

Renteria = 3 HR, 8 SB, .338 AVG since June.

Not a big enough gap to trade.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:40 AM

this league counts OPS and RBI as well, Renteria has a pretty significant edge on Tulowitzki and will probably continue to be that way.

over the last 30 days renteria is the #5 SS in the league, tulo is #11. their point ranking or whatever it is is 13.46 vs. 10.50 - on the season it's 16.92 to 12.20.

plus tulowitzki was running sick hot for a while there and was outperforming expectations
Old 07-31-2007, 03:43 AM

I made a trade.

6x6, normal five in pitching plus holds.

I'm in a tight battle for supremacy of the league. The trade deadline is Sunday but will be pretty uneventfull because there aren't really any star non-keepers left, and regardless, I'm the only contender with any keepers to trade. The second place team is ahead of me within reach in wins and K's, but I can't punt the relief categories because I've got guys ON MY ASS! Brag: I locked up WHIP by mid June and have a 25 point lead in ERA despite three 10 ER outburts in the last month!

I give;
Wagner, Hoffman, Pedro Martinez

I get;
Zambrano, Smoltz, Trot Nixon

Nixon will be waived immidiatlely to make my roster legal. The guy I'm giving the closers to will defintely catch me in that category and I will have to battle with another, so I'm giving away 1-2 points here. Pedro has a little keeper value, but not if he stays on my team. If you want an explanation, ask.

We start nine and my gameplan all along has been to use 5-6 spots for starters, getting as many two start guys in there as possible. My staff is deeeeeeeeeeep, and this obviously makes it deeper. Neither Zambrano nor Smoltz will start for me every week, only on two start weeks and sometimes good one start matchups.

Three closers would be enough for me to only lose one point, but I haven't even been starting three every week. After the deal, my main closers will still be Lidge and Putz. I've also got the Walker/Ray tandem from Baltimore. I've also got Rauch and Benoit who could be closers by this time tomorrow. I've got a pretty good keeper trading chip in Jeremy Hermida who could probably net me a Joe Borowski or Bob Wickman. As you can see, Hoffman was very expendable, although Wagner has been in my lineup virtually every week. I started all four this week while my trade goes through the open market process. I could also get out of this deal if something better comes along, which it won't.

The question is, am I taking on too much risk?
Old 07-31-2007, 07:36 AM

How much value does Saltalamacchia have in a 10 team league that uses OBP and TB instead of AVG?
Old 07-31-2007, 10:53 AM

so I'm in 6th place out of 15, but don't think I have a real chance at winning.

one of the contenders has Phil Hughes ($3), another has Gallardo, ($6) and I have Wang ($13). I'm interested in trading Wang to get one of these guys who I can keep for cheap next year.

I'm not even sure either are a downgrade for this year.

that said, I don't think one guy will agree to give me Hughes for Wang. the other guy will do Gallardo for Wang I think.

now, I would much rather have Hughes than Gallardo, especially at $3 cheaper. but, I will likely have to give up something else at another position to get him. for instance, I would include Adam Dunn and he would include Thome (neither are keepers)

so, what is better for me:

Wang and Dunn for Hughes & Thome
Wang for Gallardo

?

or, am I wrong in thinking that $3 Hughes is better than $6 Gallardo?

Hughes is supposed to be a better talent, but has to pitch in the AL East. Gallardo will be pitching in front of what should be a great offense (Braun, Fielder, Hart, etc) for years to come.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How much value does Saltalamacchia have in a 10 team league that uses OBP and TB instead of AVG?

[/ QUOTE ]

He's a starting C at this point in a 10 team league. I've seen two stories that indicate Texas plans on playing Salt at 1B and not at C. As an everyday 1B with C eligibility, he's one of the 10 best C's in fantasy baseball.

Of course, it also depends on who you are already starting at C and who you are going to cut to pick him up.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:10 PM

Trade:

I give Dontrelle Willis and Verlander
I recieve Pat Neshak, Curt Schilling, Rich Hill.

I have Cuddyer on the DL right now with only one DL spot. I'm sure that you guys know that Schil is supposed to be back around the 5th.

My bullpen is struggling with Casilla, Howry, Gagne, and David Weathers. My SP other than those in the trade are Carmona, Buerhle, Zambrano, and Harang.

I'm feeling that this trade is an upgrade for me in the bullpen. Getting anything for Willis is a + as well. Am I missing something or is this a no-brainer?